Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission dipstick stuck

Old 10-21-2018, 05:10 PM
Ccw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Transmission dipstick stuck

Hi folks, I'm trying to do a transmission service (92 jeep Cherokee aw4) and I can't get the tube from the pan unstuck from the dipstick tube. I've coated it with pb blaster and tried prying with a hammer pry. Any suggestions on how to break it free? Thanks!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Yo. I haven't been there and my input is questionable. First, it only has a screen, not really a filter. Unless you are changing solenoids you might not really want to pull the pan. Second, I don't think it DOES come free. There is a separation part way up that should come free, but is usually pretty stuck. A common solution is to cut the dipstick tube and re assemble with a short piece of rubber fuel line and clamps. At least one poster was able to use a plumbers "shorty" tubing cutter.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

The AW4 filter is just a screen like mentioned above..No need to change it unless doing the pan gasket or solenoids. A good drain and refill is fine.
The filters job is to keep large stuff out of the trans thats all.. Its no where near like an oil filter or fuel filter.

Here is a pic of whats inside of the filter.

As for the tube..if you really need the pan down. Disconnected the tube from the firewall and let the pan dangle. I dont like the idea of cutting the tubes.
a cut tube might over time give false readings if it pulls apart a little inside the rubber tube.. Ive always disconnected it from the firewall

Last edited by Dumajones; 10-21-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

This is from the FSM (factory service manual) Number 2 in this step is the only place Ive seen it mentioned about cleaning the trans screen..

Even then it doesn't say replace the screen,,it says clean in solvent and blast clean with compressed air.

Last edited by Dumajones; 10-21-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: ****ing spelling
Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

You can also remove the bolt holding the tube to the transmission and the entire tube will drop with the pan. Might have to tweek that bracket a little so it doesnt catch, but dropping the entire tube with the pan is possible. Dont damage the tube, tho. I believe the lower half of that tube is part of the pan. Its one of the worst designs ive ever seen.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Some more info on the Dipstick tube... the tube is made of two peaces..

Here is a pic where the tube comes apart.. There is a O-ring where the red arrow is pointing that likes to freeze the tubes together like Flintstone mentioned .

Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Yo. I haven't been there and my input is questionable.
Originally Posted by Dumajones
a cut tube might over time give false readings if it pulls apart a little inside the rubber tube.. Ive always disconnected it from the firewall
Being the lower is immovable, and the upper is bolted, I'm not sure I'd worry about false readings. Excellent feedback/photos/info, but even if it were 1/8 of an inch off, that wouldn't really matter. You would never be low, but yea, maybe a tad high, or not.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-21-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Being the lower is immovable, and the upper is bolted, I'm not sure I'd worry about false readings. Excellent feedback/photos/info, but even if it were 1/8 of an inch off, that wouldn't really matter. You would never be low, but yea, maybe a tad high, or not.
You are right..but I just dont like cutting things that dont need to be cut..
I would trip out with OCD thinking about how it might be off,, That's just me.. I know alot of ppl have cut it and all was fine..but why cut when not needed.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dumajones
You are right..but I just dont like cutting things that dont need to be cut..
I would trip out with OCD thinking about how it might be off,, That's just me.. I know alot of ppl have cut it and all was fine..but why cut when not needed.
Agreed. Been off grid for nearly 40 years using allot of 12 volt. Everything comes with silly cig lighter plugs or clamps. Gotta take the dikes to the spanking new wires and CHOP...!! Sometimes it;s the best solution.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:04 PM
Ccw

Thanks for all the feedback.

So I've already broken the seal from the p.o.'s rtv, so I need to remove it to replace a gasket anyway. Next time I'll just drain and refill though without the extra step of removing the pan to clean it.

I'm good with removing the whole dipstick tube, where is the bolt holding it up? I couldn't see anything from above or below when I was looking earlier.

Or can I remove the bottom piece of tube attached to the pan? Is it bolted on from inside the pan?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

See in Joneses pic. It IS suppose to separate there. Maybe a torch, some PB bleaster and persuasion will free it.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:10 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by Ccw
Thanks for all the feedback.

So I've already broken the seal from the p.o.'s rtv, so I need to remove it to replace a gasket anyway. Next time I'll just drain and refill though without the extra step of removing the pan to clean it.

I'm good with removing the whole dipstick tube, where is the bolt holding it up? I couldn't see anything from above or below when I was looking earlier.

Or can I remove the bottom piece of tube attached to the pan? Is it bolted on from inside the pan?
The bolt for the whole dipstick is just a little below where the dip goes in..

Why not try and separate the two tubes.. if it is stuck together bigtime a little heat and twist will separate the two peaces..

Fallow the tube up from the bottom until you find where the two meet up.

Red arrow in pic is pointing where they separate.

Last edited by Dumajones; 10-21-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

I think you need a lot of room to extract the whole tube. Not sure where the bracket holding the top part is. Myself I'd do whatever I could to get those to separate, If I could I might clamp a vice grip on the lower that is one with the pan and pry twist or hit down on it,

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-21-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Ccw

I'll try again tomorrow and report back
Old 10-21-2018, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

A tubing cutter is what is normally used for copper plumbing tube/pipe. Has a little wheel that you screw tighter as you go round and round. Makes a nice clean "bull-nose" cut, (easy to slide rubber tube onto). . There is a "shorty" that only needs a couple of inches instead of 6 or so for tight spots. Maybe only $5 at harbor freight...........

It would be the smallest of the three common sizes of (only vice grip brand), that I might try, A very handy tool to possess, that.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-21-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission dipstick stuck