Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transfercase mystery leak (WITH VID) experienced eyes needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transfercase mystery leak (WITH VID) experienced eyes needed

Hey guys,

I've had a mild t-case leak since changing out the fluid...could have even been before that. I have a 2000 XJ with a NP242 (not in the states).

I noticed it after doing a fluid change recently, initially i got a fair amount of Dex III dripping off the t-case bash plate and some off the crossmember too, read a few write ups and started with the simple stuff, changing the O ring in the shifter linkage and plugged the hole beneath it (check vid).

The leak seems to be coming from the front driveshaft side of the case, the back is clean, as shown in the vid...The biggest conundrum about this leak is that there is fluid all over the body (underside of the vehicle that surrounds the t-case ). I'm really baffled on how its got there.

Ive tried cleaning the tcase and body area that is effected, but there is just so much gunk, its near impossible. The leak seems to be coming from up top, but its untraceable. My other theory is that its a seal leak in the front driveshaft and the spinning yoke is flinging fluid everywhere, making it impossible to tell where the leak is from.

- Another thing to mention is that I have an AC leak and I've heard if your evaporator is leaking, it often drips along the frame rail, could it be that? it does show up vividly under a fluorescent light!

Im proper stumped any advice will be welcomed... SEE VIDEO LINK BELOW And BTW the front driveshaft is removed incase you're confused on the angle

Old 10-27-2017, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by RudeXJ
Hey guys,

I've had a mild t-case leak since changing out the fluid...could have even been before that. I have a 2000 XJ with a NP242 (not in the states).

I noticed it after doing a fluid change recently, initially i got a fair amount of Dex III dripping off the t-case bash plate and some off the crossmember too, read a few write ups and started with the simple stuff, changing the O ring in the shifter linkage and plugged the hole beneath it (check vid).

The leak seems to be coming from the front driveshaft side of the case, the back is clean, as shown in the vid...The biggest conundrum about this leak is that there is fluid all over the body (underside of the vehicle that surrounds the t-case ). I'm really baffled on how its got there.

Ive tried cleaning the tcase and body area that is effected, but there is just so much gunk, its near impossible. The leak seems to be coming from up top, but its untraceable. My other theory is that its a seal leak in the front driveshaft and the spinning yoke is flinging fluid everywhere, making it impossible to tell where the leak is from.

- Another thing to mention is that I have an AC leak and I've heard if your evaporator is leaking, it often drips along the frame rail, could it be that? it does show up vividly under a fluorescent light!

Im proper stumped any advice will be welcomed... SEE VIDEO LINK BELOW And BTW the front driveshaft is removed incase you're confused on the angle

https://youtu.be/Xc91RkdAXNs
Know what? It looks like it is engine oil or transmission fluid that might be blowing back over your transfer case to rinse it off nice for you. I think your source is further forward... Check your trans cooling lines well.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 10-27-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:52 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I should have filmed further back, but it’s really tight back there.

The front of the trans and bellhousing is dry, and there is a visable pink fluid drip from the shifter linkage of the tcase, plus the tcase fluid has dropped by about 200milliliters in the last 3 months so relatively sure it’s coming from the tcase...will check the trans lines, although I think they’re on the other side if I’m not mistaken?
Old 10-28-2017, 06:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Go to self serve car wash and hit it with pressure washer should clean up nicely . It does look like yoke is the source though.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by RudeXJ
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I should have filmed further back, but it’s really tight back there.

The front of the trans and bellhousing is dry, and there is a visable pink fluid drip from the shifter linkage of the tcase, plus the tcase fluid has dropped by about 200milliliters in the last 3 months so relatively sure it’s coming from the tcase...will check the trans lines, although I think they’re on the other side if I’m not mistaken?
You are more than likely on the right track if the engine is dry. The problem with a good leak though is it can blow around everywhere under there from road wind. I have seen trans leaks suck all the way up to the front of the engine.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:37 AM

I can imagine the wind blowing things around...my tranny mount in also wet, but could be dripping down from T-case. Could also be the rear transmission seal too??(not the pan, I’ve made sure of that)

The spot where it’s wet around the body is in such a “corner” I couldn’t imagine it coming from anything other than the transfer case. I’m 90% sure it’s spinning of the front driveshaft yoke..just was hoping for a confirmation from someone who’s had this happen to them.

@freedgr I’d love to get it pressure washed, but we’re currently in the midst of a severe drought here in Cape Town.