Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transfer case noise, Jeep won't move

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transfer case noise, Jeep won't move

2000 jeep xj, 3in lift 31s. Auto trans 231 t-case. So there's been a humming/grinding noise coming from the t-case/trans area and it recently got worse. When I went to drive it today I put it in reverse, went to back up and it felt as if the brakes were locked up but if I gave enough throttle it would "break loose" and a horrid noise would come from the t-case and would suddenly stop again. Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-23-2016, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i would check to make sure the t-case is fully engaged. maybe you just need to adjust the linkage.

when you shift your case, just be sure the trans is in neutral and not in park. once you are moving, you can shift on the fly into 4 high, but must be pretty much stopped to shift down into 4 low.

it sounds like it just haven't been used much and probably just left in 2wd mostly. this tends to make it difficult to get shifting smoothly and may just take a bit of penetrating oil and maybe shift rod adjustment.

unless that shifts fine, then it could be the chain is stretched and needs replacing.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:12 AM

It makes all the noise in 2wd. And I frequently switch between 2 and 4 so I don't think it is the linkage
Old 12-24-2016, 01:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

you could start with disconnecting the rear drive shaft, lift the rear axle and spin the wheels by hand to see if there's resistance. if there is, pull the diff cover to inspect ring gear teeth and/or spider gears.

you could then pull the shaft and try driving it in front wheel drive while in 4hi to see if it is still binding.

could be just as simple as a seized u joint or as serious as a bad transmission or rear axle.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Update

In an attempt to get the jeep home, I put the tranny and t-case in neutral and it will not moved and feels locked. This leads me to beleive that something's going on in one of the diffs. Input?
Old 12-24-2016, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by Jeepin Jimmy
In an attempt to get the jeep home, I put the tranny and t-case in neutral and it will not moved and feels locked. This leads me to beleive that something's going on in one of the diffs. Input?
Originally Posted by caged
you could start with disconnecting the rear drive shaft, lift the rear axle and spin the wheels by hand to see if there's resistance. if there is, pull the diff cover to inspect ring gear teeth and/or spider gears.

you could then pull the shaft and try driving it in front wheel drive while in 4hi to see if it is still binding.

could be just as simple as a seized u joint or as serious as a bad transmission or rear axle.
^^^I think this feller just answered your question.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:48 PM

Yup it was indeed the front axle. The yoke was all kinds of loose and I had someone tried to move it as I watched and the driveshaft would not budge. Something is binding real bad. I'll opener her up Monday! Thanks for the help