Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transfer Case Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Transfer Case Issues

Really been struggling with this XJ the past week and now I'm at a complete loss so any advice wold help out!

Alright so I have the NP 242 t-case which I recently had to buy a new one off a guy for $200. Installed it fully and it worked for all of 5 minutes until it started having issues. When I initially installed it before running the Heep all the lights on the dash worked for letting me know if it was in 4 high, 4 part time or 4 low. Then I tried driving it in 4 high (front drive shaft not in) and it was working it seemed then it slipped out after 1 minute of driving and it felt like it was in neutral with neither axle engaged and made a whirring noise, but the dash light still came up green that it was in 4 high. 4 part time and 4 low still seem to work great but now the dash light doesn't come up they are engaged. I can tell they work cause when I got home I played with the case manually including shifting it into gear by hand with the shifter linkage disconnected from the cab and the front yoke was locked when it was in 4 part time and 4 low but neither shaft engaged in 4 high.

Right before this new t-case what happened with the old was basically the ball between the double cardon on my front shaft wore completely through, causing the shaft to seize up and literally split my other NP 242 right in half all the way around the housing on the highway. What a show that was. I lost most of the shift linkage but some stayed on so I re used that and got the rod that goes to the t-case at a wrecker. So I know the shift linkage is slightly off but shifting it my hand on the t-case I figured it should work then even if the linkage is slightly off.

Is this a planetary gear issue or a shift mode one? I can't afford a rental car much longer (although I love the 42 mpg it gets ) and I want to figure out if its worth taking this t-case out again if all it truly needs is a linkage adjustment.

Anything helps, thanks!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Neutral activates the Full Time position on the indicator switch

Sounds like the shifter linkage in set wrong. You need to set it so that pulling back will not go back past FT 4WD (stops before continuing to N), and that pushing forward from 2LO will not go forward past N. Put the transmission in N when you set the transfer case linkage, you need to have the powertrain and drivetrain disengaged to eliminate binding for the adjustment.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

When setting the shift adjuster trunion, place TC lever in 4-low and shifter in 4-low.
Dash light is controlled by a spring loaded ball bearing that screws into TC. That unit may need to be backed out or screwed tighter to get lights to match. But first, disregard the lights and go by feel until you get the shifting figured out.
Verify again that 4-PartTime is not locking. If you are trying it in 4-FullTime, the front and rear output shafts will not lock together. There is a center diff operated by planetary/sun gears.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by ehall
Neutral activates the Full Time position on the indicator switch

Sounds like the shifter linkage in set wrong. You need to set it so that pulling back will not go back past FT 4WD (stops before continuing to N), and that pushing forward from 2LO will not go forward past N. Put the transmission in N when you set the transfer case linkage, you need to have the powertrain and drivetrain disengaged to eliminate binding for the adjustment.
Thanks! I definitely think the linkage needs to be adjusted so I'll try that, but when I was testing out the transfer case with the rear end jacked up with the shifter disconnected in the cab and manually turning the notch on the t-case with a wrench, it still had these engaging issues with 4 high not locking anything in
Old 06-02-2015, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
When setting the shift adjuster trunion, place TC lever in 4-low and shifter in 4-low.
Dash light is controlled by a spring loaded ball bearing that screws into TC. That unit may need to be backed out or screwed tighter to get lights to match. But first, disregard the lights and go by feel until you get the shifting figured out.
Verify again that 4-PartTime is not locking. If you are trying it in 4-FullTime, the front and rear output shafts will not lock together. There is a centre diff operated by planetary/sun gears.
Alright thanks, yeah lights were kind of minor to me at the moment until it properly shifted first again. I saw the little ball you mentioned in my exploded one so I'll figure out how to adjust that since I'm going to re take this t-case out again anyways.

Thing was is by jacking up the rear end and manually shifting the t-case right on the case 4 Part Time seemed to lock in just fine but it was 4 Full Time that neither shafts would engage. Or the rear wouldn't engage at all but somehow the front shaft would spin in the opposite direction it was supposed to?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:32 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by ChiliPepper_XJ
Alright thanks, yeah lights were kind of minor to me at the moment until it properly shifted first again. I saw the little ball you mentioned in my exploded one so I'll figure out how to adjust that since I'm going to re take this t-case out again anyways.

Thing was is by jacking up the rear end and manually shifting the t-case right on the case 4 Part Time seemed to lock in just fine but it was 4 Full Time that neither shafts would engage. Or the rear wouldn't engage at all but somehow the front shaft would spin in the opposite direction it was supposed to?
Sounds like normal operation of the 242, Unless transmission is in Park.
If tranny is in Neutral, the shafts will not lock together in FullTime. One turning in reverse to the other, is the center differential working.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:31 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

2 things:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014