Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transfer Case almost back together One last question. PLEASE HELP I'M SO CLOSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Transfer Case almost back together One last question. PLEASE HELP I'M SO CLOSE

Hello All
Thanks for all the help rebuilding my transfer case. I've learned so much.

One final question. I'm putting everything back together. I've got all the lock rings on the rear output shaft, put the oil seal in place, but the Oil Slinger I'm not sure is on fully.
I push it down and it seems to be all the way down, but it pops right back up. I'm not sure it is fully sealing. I pulled it using a 3 jaw puller so it's not damaged. I've tried pounding it down with a hammer, and it seems to be fully seated, but then just pops right back up.
What am I doing wrong? Did I miss something? This thing was a pain in the neck to get off.

Suggestions anyone?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Oil slinger ?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's called an oil slinger....but's just a dust shield. I toss 'em in the scrap pile.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
It's called an oil slinger....but's just a dust shield. I toss 'em in the scrap pile.
X2...
Old 04-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Thanks Guys, I got it re-installed today. Decided not to worry about it, because like was said it is basically a dust shield covering the rear output oil seal.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Alright, so the oil slinger/dust cover is important. I'm getting a leak from it. It's spraying oil in an arc as the shaft spins.
Any tips on how to fix this? Buy a new one and hope it fits tight?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ch45x7
Alright, so the oil slinger/dust cover is important. I'm getting a leak from it. It's spraying oil in an arc as the shaft spins.
Any tips on how to fix this? Buy a new one and hope it fits tight?
The slinger isn't causing that leak, the rear output shaft seal is. You'll have to replace the seal, and the slinger (destroyed upon removal).

Get a rear output shaft seal and slinger from the dealer. Aftermarket seals and slingers are junk.

Seal OEM 4798117
Slinger OEM 4798119

When replacing the seal make sure the garter spring from the old seal isn't still in the rear transfer case retainer. Make sure you have the washer on top of the snap ring.

Lube the output shaft with vasoline before carefully slipping the seal over it.

It's good idea to apply a bit of RTV to the metal flange of the seal where it butts up against the transfer case rear retainer before installtion .

As far as the new slinger goes, you'll have to heat it up pretty good before tryng to install it. Use a 1 1/4" sink drain pipe (Lowes) as a tool to drive the slinger home, flange end resting on the slinger. (pic) Use a piece of wood on the end of the pipe and drive it home with a hammer.

Name:  SlingerInstallTool.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  22.3 KB
Old 04-29-2014, 01:30 PM

The seal fit on pretty tight when I put it in place. I didn't know to do the RTV on it though, which is probably what lead to the leak. The slinger was the one that I pulled off. I used a gear puller when I removed it so it seemed to be in good shape, but it went on very easy and won't fully seat. It spins freely so it must have been warped when I removed it.
Already called the dealership and they will have new parts for me in the morning.

Thanks for the tip on the RTV and about heating up the slinger and using the pipe to get it on.

What a pain in the *** this has been.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ch45x7
The seal fit on pretty tight when I put it in place. I didn't know to do the RTV on it though, which is probably what lead to the leak. The slinger was the one that I pulled off. I used a gear puller when I removed it so it seemed to be in good shape, but it went on very easy and won't fully seat. It spins freely so it must have been warped when I removed it.
Already called the dealership and they will have new parts for me in the morning.

Thanks for the tip on the RTV and about heating up the slinger and using the pipe to get it on.

What a pain in the *** this has been.
If you're not careful you can roll the lip of the seal when installing it and cause a leak. The shaft must be lubed before attempting to install the seal.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Default Additional Info

Correction on that slinger install pipe: It's 1 1/2" diameter, not 1 1/4".

It might be a good idea too check to see if the new seal leaks before installing the slinger.

Set the parking brake,
Chock the front wheels,
Start the engine,
Leave the TC in 2WD (DO NOT ENGAGE 4WD),
Put the transmission to Drive,
Lay next to the Jeep (don't get under it) and look up at the output shaft seal to see if it leaks. If it's okay, shut down and finish the installations. If it leaks, well....