Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tranny and differential service, hard?

Old 04-29-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tranny and differential service, hard?

How difficult is it to service the transmission and differentials on a 2001 Cherokee, and what new diff covers should I replace the old ones with?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

If you're just doing a simple drain and fill on the tranny, its as easy as changing the oil... well, actually its easier, because you don't have a filter to worry about. You can drain it from the plug and fill it through the dip stick tube. If you're dropping the pan to change the filter (not really necessary) then its gets a little more time consuming, but nothing that needs any special tools or talent.

For the diffs, its as easy as taking off a few bolts... I ran video while I did the front diff a couple of months ago... got it done, and I don't know all that much about working on my vehicles. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 PM

So the differential doesn't look too bad. I'm wondering, is the front diff the same as the rear diff? and what about the transfer case? I really need to do everything I can myself. I have a self help shop I can use, with a lift and drain and tools, etc... Just need to gain the knowledge and get started.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:01 PM

Front and rear differential are the same basic procedure. Transfer case is pretty easy too. I did a video on that also, if you want to see how I did it... again, I'm no expert, but it wasn't difficult at all.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:57 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

Many of the senior members on here have mentioned a shop manual from pacific coast manuals, I just bought one for my 95 this week. There is a lot of info in there. The download was about $8.00
Old 04-30-2015, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Yes don't forget your transfer case also and know exactly what fluids go back into each of these, it tells you in the owners manual or the FSM.

As far as aftermarket covers there are hundreds on them well maybe not hundreds but a lot from many different vendors made from sheet metal/steel/cast/aluminum. Here is a photo of my front cover for the D30 (you can't see it but it says Jeep in the center of the cover). This is one of the strongest aluminum covers made I shopped for a month or 2 before I found this one.

FYI if you shop around for the covers look for those that have a drain plug also makes it easier to change the fluid (I change mine very often in wet areas a lot). I use the drain every 2-3 mo. and pull the cover at least once a year to check the gears and clean the housing inside.

Name:  Jeep3-29-14022_zps7270f226.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  69.6 KB
Old 05-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Yes don't forget your transfer case also and know exactly what fluids go back into each of these, it tells you in the owners manual or the FSM.

As far as aftermarket covers there are hundreds on them well maybe not hundreds but a lot from many different vendors made from sheet metal/steel/cast/aluminum. Here is a photo of my front cover for the D30 (you can't see it but it says Jeep in the center of the cover). This is one of the strongest aluminum covers made I shopped for a month or 2 before I found this one.

FYI if you shop around for the covers look for those that have a drain plug also makes it easier to change the fluid (I change mine very often in wet areas a lot). I use the drain every 2-3 mo. and pull the cover at least once a year to check the gears and clean the housing inside.

Nice looking front end pic!

Ok so, I got the differentials serviced. I couldn't believe the fluid was $75.00! Oh well.
I was a bit gun shy of the tranny service and transfer case, I couldn't determine which fluid to use, got frustrated and so hired this guy to do it for me. A local guy, Ryan in Fairborn, OH, just outside the base. He ripped me off, as best I can tell.
He claimed he serviced the tranny and transfer case, but when I got home and crawled underneath for a visual, I saw that the pan had not been removed as all the bolts were still grimmy as if none of them had a socket on them in a long time. The fluid looked clear, but my neighbor showed me on his that it should be bright red; it wasn't. So...
Yeah, no, I paid cash...called him and complained. He called me names, hung up on me and now won't return my calls. Called the BBB, they said "oh well" he's not a member, it won't do any good to complain.

It's my stupidity really. I should not have been so trusting of him. I should have delved right in and did it myself. Guess now I'm going to have to. Oh well, lesson learned.

So, I'm guessing, just drain fluid, drop pan, remove filter, clean everything, reinstall...right?
As for the transfer case???? I don't have a clue. I know, research...

Thanks for the advise, suggestions and guidance from ALL you guys!!!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM

I know that some of the newer ATF fluids are different colors, and I think I read somewhere that Nissan (and maybe others) are using clear fluids now. Whatever it is, I would say its a safe bet that it is not Dex/Merc III, which is what your tranny will like the best. I would get that stuff out of there asap, if were mine.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by synergy58
Nice looking front end pic!

Ok so, I got the differentials serviced. I couldn't believe the fluid was $75.00! Oh well.
I was a bit gun shy of the tranny service and transfer case, I couldn't determine which fluid to use, got frustrated and so hired this guy to do it for me. A local guy, Ryan in Fairborn, OH, just outside the base. He ripped me off, as best I can tell.
He claimed he serviced the tranny and transfer case, but when I got home and crawled underneath for a visual, I saw that the pan had not been removed as all the bolts were still grimmy as if none of them had a socket on them in a long time. The fluid looked clear, but my neighbor showed me on his that it should be bright red; it wasn't. So...
Yeah, no, I paid cash...called him and complained. He called me names, hung up on me and now won't return my calls. Called the BBB, they said "oh well" he's not a member, it won't do any good to complain.

It's my stupidity really. I should not have been so trusting of him. I should have delved right in and did it myself. Guess now I'm going to have to. Oh well, lesson learned.

So, I'm guessing, just drain fluid, drop pan, remove filter, clean everything, reinstall...right?
As for the transfer case???? I don't have a clue. I know, research...

Thanks for the advise, suggestions and guidance from ALL you guys!!!
That sucks man.

Yes that's the proper procedure for the trans.

For the transfer case, drain through lower large bolt. Fill through top bolt. super easy.

Use the Dex/Merc III, that's what your rig needs.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by besthaticouldo
That sucks man.

Yes that's the proper procedure for the trans.

For the transfer case, drain through lower large bolt. Fill through top bolt. super easy.

Use the Dex/Merc III, that's what your rig needs.
Great. This fluid is good for both transfer case and automatic transmission?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by synergy58
Great. This fluid is good for both transfer case and automatic transmission?

Thanks!
Do I use the Dex/Merc III fluid for both the transmission and transfer case on a 2001? How many quarts?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter 242 CI

The transmission's capacity is 4 quarts, but it will probably take a little less than that. The transfer case will take 2.5 pints for Command-Trac or 2.85 pints for Select-Trac. Command-Trac gives you 2 wheel drive high range, 4 wheel drive high range, neutral and 4 wheel drive low range.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:49 AM

The videos are great stuff, at least for me. I'm new at all this fixin and doin stuff, and I really want to know how to do things myself, if it's within my capability, because I can't afford to get ripped off anymore!

Thanks Jason!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by MXDNJSport
The transmission's capacity is 4 quarts, but it will probably take a little less than that. The transfer case will take 2.5 pints for Command-Trac or 2.85 pints for Select-Trac. Command-Trac gives you 2 wheel drive high range, 4 wheel drive high range, neutral and 4 wheel drive low range.
Very nice! I asked the gut at the parts store and he didn't know. He couldn't tell me how much went in either one. Said I needed to contact the dealer. Hmmm?
I just left, didn't buy the fluid or the tranny kit. I'll go to NAPA today.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by cliffy
Many of the senior members on here have mentioned a shop manual from pacific coast manuals, I just bought one for my 95 this week. There is a lot of info in there. The download was about $8.00
I went to their www site, read the expanded info on the 2001 Cherokee manual. At the bottom of the write up theres a link to a Youtube video. I clicked it...Youtube says basically they denied PAC Manuals use of youtube, because of deceptive practices. Know anything about this? Sure, its only $8.00, but...

is this a trusted company/site, and are these manuals really good?
Anyone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny and differential service, hard?