Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Track bar question....I know.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Track bar question....I know.

Well, I put a 3" aal kit from Zone off road. Good quality kit by the way. But I was wondering, how do you tell if you need to relocate the track bar? I know that if the track bar hits, it should be moved, but mine doesn't hit. I know that the track bar keep the front axle in line with the rear, but is there a way to measure this? I tried to eyeball it, and it looks ok, but will it matter if it's just alittle bit out?

Second thing, I heard some knocking in the front end, after checking things out, it looks as if my lower control arms are hitting on the axle side. Now like I said, I only did a 3" aal, on a '94 XJ 4.0L 2wd 5-speed, I fabed my own 1" cross member drop, to get rid of the small vib's from the lift. I've got the 8.25 rearend.

So, I guess I'm asking how to figure out if the front axle is out due to a lift?

And does this sound normal with the lower control arms, for a 3" lift? and is there anything I can do that may be cheaper then the adjustables?

This is my DD, I havn't had it offroad yet, but may go up north, and see what she can do some weekend soon.

Thanks,
J
Old 03-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

that seems a little odd i would not think that it would be too different on a 2wd than a 4wd, i did have to relocate my trac bar before buying the rustys hd kit and it was well worth it as for the control arms i am not too sure i am sure however that someone else on here will chime in and offer some more advise
Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

when i did my lift i just mesured the space from the form the outside of each tire to the edge of the fender and made them match.i just redrilled mine and i think i moved it like 3/4 of an inch. look under the how to thread for trackbar relocation. i thinkits on the 2nd or third page for how to move it. good luck