Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Track Bar Castlenut/Front end issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Track Bar Castlenut/Front end issue

So this is boggling my mind because a year ago i replaced the trackbar and ever since the castlenut loosens up after a while which i dont understand how since the cotter pin is in there pretty good and see no possible way it can loosen up at all, there is no gap and it has alot of meat to nudge against and isnt at the top of the nut or anything rather towards the lower middle of the nut. And second issue (this is how i discovered my track bar is loose) is traveling at 80 mph and merging off the highway someone cut across the yielding area and pretty much scared me as i was going 80 and he was crawling over into the lane so i slammed on my brakes down to basically nothing and after that and some cursing out towards the guy i noticed my front end felt quite loose after. So i zipped by work and had a co worker check out the front and he seen nothing wrong or felt major play. (my jeep had a little play in everything but not excessive) so what else can i look for? my track bar was loose but after tightening up it still felt wrong and my upper and lower control arms felt decent, tie rods had no excessive movement and pitman and idler arm were ok. I cannot fathom what is wrong. the track bar hole isnt wallowed out, wheels are tight, brakes are good and nothing loose and nothing visually moves in terms of braking. which is what it feels like when i brake i feel a little movement forward before it stops. the axle doesnt shift side to side. but rather forward and backwards if that makes sense.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:30 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Did you torque to the specification, then past to the next hole alignment?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Stock Track bar needs to have the poly bushings installed imo. Also...everything is possible when it comes to DW. Sway bar bushings....are often overlooked imo. Also clearly inflation, balance of tires yes the REAR tires can be big overlooked.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

well i figured out why the front was loose feeling, Somehow the bolts on the lower control arm was loose not enough to visually see or move but i stuck a wrench on every bolt and the two front ones on the lower control arms were loose and moving back and forth. tightened and fixed the play and as for the track bar i just bought the cheapest one on rock auto lol. maybe its cheapness shows like this.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by EEVEE
when i brake i feel a little movement forward before it stops.
i should have went straight to the last post, i didn’t read the entire thread before generating a response. my suggestion was control arms as not much else can create the issue you described.