Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

TPS, stick vs auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default TPS, stick vs auto

Is there a difference in the TPS on a auto or a manual? I have a 89 if that matters. Autozone.com lists one for each but those sites aren't always accurate. The reason I ask is there are several auto down at the J/Y that I could harvest one from but I won't bother if it won't work. Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 12:45 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

There is definatly a difference, the automatic has a wire harness attached to the sensor, where as the manual has a solid body and no wire harness. The adjustment procedure is also different. Not sure how it differs internally, and I am sure a seasoned veteran here can answer more, but they are definatly different.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Imo, just pay the $30 to get a new TPS instead of pulling one from a JY. Stuff like that, it'll almost always last a LOT shorter amount of time than a brand new one. It's cheap insurance.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by halmotors
Imo, just pay the $30 to get a new TPS instead of pulling one from a JY. Stuff like that, it'll almost always last a LOT shorter amount of time than a brand new one. It's cheap insurance.
Show me where I can buy a new one for 30 and I will. Autozone is 75 and Kragen is 125.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by pedenspeed
There is definatly a difference, the automatic has a wire harness attached to the sensor, where as the manual has a solid body and no wire harness. The adjustment procedure is also different. Not sure how it differs internally, and I am sure a seasoned veteran here can answer more, but they are definatly different.
Yes, now that I poked around a little more I see that the auto version has another pigtail coming off of it for the auto trans. However, since the input voltage, bolt pattern, and signal to the ECU are the same it seems to me that it would still work exactly the same, you just wouldn't hook up the other pigtail if using it on a manual. For 2$ I'll probably give it a try and see what happens. It can't be any worse.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

For RENIX, there is a difference (however, you can use an auto TPS with a manual transmission-equipped vehicle - simply disregard the four-pole square Weatherpack. Pull a condom over it and tie it off.)

The problem is that the RENIX ECU expects the sensor to respond one way, and the TCU expects an opposite response curve. Therefore, the two "halves" of the Auto RENIX TPS work in opposite directions.

ChryCo ECUs expect the same curve as the TCU, so 1991-up saw the sensor reduced to one operating element.

For RENIX, if you have a stick, just use whichever one costs less.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 5-90
For RENIX, there is a difference (however, you can use an auto TPS with a manual transmission-equipped vehicle - simply disregard the four-pole square Weatherpack. Pull a condom over it and tie it off.)

The problem is that the RENIX ECU expects the sensor to respond one way, and the TCU expects an opposite response curve. Therefore, the two "halves" of the Auto RENIX TPS work in opposite directions.

ChryCo ECUs expect the same curve as the TCU, so 1991-up saw the sensor reduced to one operating element.

For RENIX, if you have a stick, just use whichever one costs less.
Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I'll give it a try tomorrow.