Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tires? Sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tires? Sound system?

I just purchased a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4 with the inline 6 . It needs new tires all around. I want to put bigger tires on it, im not sure what size are on it now, but they seem pretty stock.
What tires would you guys suggest for a poor college student that are a bit larger, and don't make too much noise?

Also, the front two speakers do not work. I have taken the speakers out and tested them. They do work, so I am assuming it is the stock head unit and/or the wiring. Can anyone tell me how to take the head unit out and test is or link me to a web site that could help.

Finally, what brand and type of speakers would you guys suggest to get maximum sound from my beautiful piece of machinery?

Thank you everybody, I am looking forward to joining the Jeep loving community!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

You dont need speakers, just let your soon to be bought off road tires make music for you.

I would get some 30 inch-ish Dominators from Discount Tire, pretty cheap, last a good long time, and not too loud for an A/T tire. also 30s should fit stock.

Last edited by lil'whiteXJ; 11-01-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: forgot to answer the question.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

On your drivers door is a sticker that shows the tire size the jeep came with and the pressures suggested. You can now bring them to a tire outlet and ask their recommendations or wait.
I'm sure some have opinions on that subject.

You do need to ask yourself and answer honestly what you intend to do with the jeep. Are you gonna just mall crawl or do some serious mudding or rock climbing. Each activity is different and will need a different tire. Not likely you will find one tire that will do them all really well.

Front 2 speakers seems to be a common problem. I had it too and the stereo shop I went to just said put new wires in.

Speaker choice? Your kidding right? Again what do you want? Budget? Stock system? aftermarket? Amped? Are you seeing a pattern here?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:03 PM

Year: 1999

I suggest 235-75-15, pretty basic tire, little bigger. If the 30-9.5 fits, I'd do that, I just haven't done the research to see if it will. JBL speakers are my fave, but go to a junkyard and get stocks IMO and a cd player from craigslist, buy a $25 Sirius satellite radio kit from wal-mart and your rockin'!