Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ticking-like noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ticking-like noise when accelerating

So I just recently started having a noise happen when I accelerate. It's like a ticking noise, but not quite the same as a knock, if that makes sense. I have a known oil leak, and I recently did an oil change a few month ago. I added in some Lucas optimizer for weight and it was OK, still leaked though. Recently, it's looked like the leaking hasn't been as bad. That made me want to check my oil, which I did about 2 weeks ago, and it was in the "safe" section. Now 2 weeks later, this noise is happening when I accelerate.

I think it's due to not enough oil, a friend says I might have a leak in the valves.

Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 PM

Sounds like an exhaust leak at the manifold; sounds stupid I know as you wouldnt think of an exhaust leak sounding like a click but it does on these things...bet you got a crack in the manifold or a blown manifold gasket...wouldnt hurt to check all the bolt tightness first and maybe even throw a new doughnut gasket at the manifold/crossover pipe connection before you dive into that fun manifd job
Old 03-21-2013, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

I could see that being the issue.. I think I recall seeing some damage or something on my manifold when I was last working on it, but I thought it was nothing. If it's a crack, is there any fix to it, or just buy a new one?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM

Year: 1999

if it is the manifold, you are better off getting a new one. any attempt to mend the manifold would be temporary and the crack could end up getting bigger. just did the manifold on my 99, not too hard just a pain. the new header was around $160 shipped
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

That's not bad. Hopefully it's that simple then. What are my other options? I'll recheck oil tomorrow, then maybe throw in a qt. I'll try and wash the engine bay and examine it a bit. Anything else I can check out?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
That's not bad. Hopefully it's that simple then. What are my other options? I'll recheck oil tomorrow, then maybe throw in a qt. I'll try and wash the engine bay and examine it a bit. Anything else I can check out?
Good luck!
I hope you solve your troubles as soon as possible
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Start off by checking oil dude. And what kind of filter is in there? Is it orange with a black cap?

Cracked exhaust manifold is also known to cause ticking.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bellat
Good luck!
I hope you solve your troubles as soon as possible
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by salad
Start off by checking oil dude. And what kind of filter is in there? Is it orange with a black cap?

Cracked exhaust manifold is also known to cause ticking.
I'll double check the oil. And what oil filter? A Mobil1 one. I did an oil change about a month or so go, and I added in a whole thing of Lucas optimizer or something. Big bottle, really thick stuff.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

I had a hefty crack in my manifold and it never ticked. It was at the collector. Better to buy a new one. Check out APN, or ATP manifolds. They're a pain doing the first time, though if I had to do it again, I think I could get it done much faster.

If it's not a crack, it could be internal engine noise. These engines are noisy and seem to get louder over time.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM

Year: 1988

Does it tick at idle too? I've had something similar and few guys on here suggested a lifter tick. Might be something to look into..
Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Well i checked the oil and it appears to be ok. The noise started when I first started up when I was accelerating, but went away shortly after. Then came back towards the end of my drive. And now again on and off a bit when I was driving around again.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

I can't edit on phone but the noise is happening while idling. Thinking it's lifter related. My valve head cover has been leaking badly.. So probably related.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 AM

Year: 1988

Same here mine needs a new gasket. Maybe try running a compression test, if one cylinder is significantly low it could b another clue as the hole in the lifter would reduce the compression. I think. Lol
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

I'm going to replace the gasket and add some oil while the cover is off next weekend. This sounds like the issue. My valve head cover is covered on oil or something and it's dripping all over my stuff below it like my track bar and tie rod. So the lifter could be oil deprived from leaking.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 PM

Year: 2000

If you want my 2cents: I just went through this a couple months ago...
My ticking noise was probably lifter tick.. It started about a year ago, was loudest when the engine first started then practically went away after engine warmed or it was driven a short while... So anyway, after about a, year it finally got worse, and would no longer go away, but ticked through all rpms.. About a month later,i blew the engine. Not to scare you or anything...Had 207218 miles. Regular maintenance, oil changes, napa gold (wix) filters and valvoline high mileage oil.
Someone suggested to me: try seafoam- dump it right into your oil drive it, then after a bit, change your oil. See if you can get rid of the tick. Don't know if this will fix it, but from what iv read about seafoam, you wont make it worse & probably will improve..
Lastly, many of these xj's get the tick noise, you should be able to youtube for more ideas...(end of my story: pulled & had engine rebuilt, back to driving!) Love us die hards..I'm going to drive it another 200k!

Quick Reply: Ticking-like noise when accelerating