Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ticking From AW4 Bell Housing Area In Park Only 98 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ticking From AW4 Bell Housing Area In Park Only 98 XJ

Have read many posts regarding cracked flexplates and loose bolts but not sure if this is my issue. Did have this issue in my 97 but noise was there all the time and ended up being loose flexplate bolts to converter.

My issue is not constant but fairly regular. When starting the jeep (cold) there is a ticking/knocking that is loudest at bell housing area. When you put the transmission in any gear the noise stops. The inspection cover has been removed and I have checked the flexplate to converter bolts and they are all tight. The sound is not noticeable inside when driving and performance is great.

A little history on jeep. Bought the jeep cheap because it was stranded in a Walmart parking lot and the owner did not want to put any money it. The issue was it would start and run fine but as soon as you put it in gear the engine would shut off. Long story short I bought it waited for him to leave and climbed under to find all the transmission bolts were gone but 1 barley threaded in block. Thus crank sensor was not getting a signal due to trans moving back and ASR was killing ignition. Got it home put trans back up in place installed all new bolts and new crank sensor. Jeep has ran like a champ for 6 months then the starter started acting up so I replaced it and everything has been fine for a few weeks until this noise started.

My question is there anything I should check before going to the extreme of pulling trans? Thanks