Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Thumping sound from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97 Grand cherokee Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Thumping sound from the rear

The following problems seems to be worse from time to time... It's always there but seems worse sometimes.

When I go over bumps there is a loud thump coming from the passenger rear side. This seems to be suspension related... Not too sure what it is or could be. Any of you guys had this problem before.

The sounds is pretty bad, seems like there is something loose and when I go ovor a big bump 2 metal piece bang together.

The only thing I can think of is the bushing of the rear shock is destroyed...

Any input appreciated, thanks !
Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 HO

Hi Speedyp, it could be a shock or even the sway bar/bushing may be disconnected or worn. Check Em both out...Tj
Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM

thanks ! are those inexpensive to change ?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

I'm thinking it's the shock bushing, or you collapsed/blew a shock. Speaking of which, both of my rears are blown...Ahh, too cold to fix right now.

Last edited by BowtieGuy3; 12-12-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
"CF Moderator"

Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by speedyp
thanks ! are those inexpensive to change ?
Most XJ owners take the sway bar off if its that...Tj
Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

You have something loose or a bushing has disintegrated on you. If you do still have your rear sway on your XJ, take it off and sling it in the weeds. Then, check you shock mounts, upper and lower, and check your spring mounts front and rear. Be sure to check you upper and lower bushings on the rear shackles. guarantee you'll find your problem noise in one of those areas. While you're checkling all of that stuff hit it all with the torque wrench and make sure it's all at the proper tightness. Be sure and check you U bolts for proper torque as well.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

For everyone who suggests tossing the rear swaybay...please remember, worn or weak rear leaf springs depend on the added stability the rear swaybar gives.

Just because you can run w/o it doesn't mean everyone CAN.
There are a majority of CF members who use thier XJ's as daily drivers, many members who do not have/want thier XJ lifted

Instead of telling EVERYONE to toss the rear swaybar, why not suggest removing it (IF they feel comfortable removing it) and take it for a little test drive.

NOT all XJ's are alike.
I removed mine when I first got it and lost control doing 30MPH and almost took two other people with me.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Good point, brother. It's good to hear another guy's point of view. I did remove my rear sway bar at the same time I added my "Oh my God, stiff" rear Rusty's leaf springs. Probably why I didn't notice any high speed instability on the road. I'll quit telling guys to remove it and just let them test and decide on their own if they want to.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
For everyone who suggests tossing the rear swaybay...please remember, worn or weak rear leaf springs depend on the added stability the rear swaybar gives.

Just because you can run w/o it doesn't mean everyone CAN.
There are a majority of CF members who use thier XJ's as daily drivers, many members who do not have/want thier XJ lifted

Instead of telling EVERYONE to toss the rear swaybar, why not suggest removing it (IF they feel comfortable removing it) and take it for a little test drive.

NOT all XJ's are alike.
I removed mine when I first got it and lost control doing 30MPH and almost took two other people with me.
I agree. I took mine off with my soft old man emu suspension system and it swayed more than i liked so I put it back on until recently when i added the OME AAL. That stiffened up the rear and i could run without the sway bar.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:33 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: AMC242 6Cyl 4.0

I had a problem with my last car where the rear passenger suspension got extremely stiff
I'm not sure what caused it, maybe something was bent so that it wouldn't move as much as it should

anyway in cold weather it would make a loud thunk over bumps and the whole car would lurch because that corner wasn't absorbing the bumps at all . . .
Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0HO

I would suggest the muffler or exhaust pipe may be missing a hanger. I have this exact problem. A bump will make it louder, but any kind of vibration from the road will make the noise. Pretty easy fix, and worth checking before racking your brain on suspension issues.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:34 AM

My rear suspension is sagging pretty bad... I guess the leafs are worn. Might not be the best idea to take out the sway bar.

About the exaust, The exaust got replaced by the previous owner and it was done a muffler shop but they did not use the right muffler and piping its hanging low and its not installed properly. Might be the cause of the problem as well, But by the sound I would lean toward a suspensioin issue.

Is there any direct bolt on conversion for the rear leafs.. example can I use the leafs from a grand cherokee to get a stiffer rear end and remove the sag. Then I could take out the sway bar
Old 12-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

speedyp go to your profile and fill out the info about your jeep so we will know what you have done to improve your XJ or if it is stock and just how it is equiped. year, engine, tranny, transfercase if 4WD etc...
Old 12-13-2008, 08:52 AM

Allright profile updated !
Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 AM

Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

GHAA!

Last edited by ej1096; 02-12-2011 at 05:43 AM. Reason: DONT POST AT 4AM W/O LOOKING AT THE DATE!!!!! SORRY

Quick Reply: Thumping sound from the rear