Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

thumping, rear end noise only while braking to a stop -SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default thumping, rear end noise only while braking to a stop -SOLVED

This has been a 2 month situation..
I have a sound coming from my rear axle when braking to a stop. It sounds like a slight metal to metal clunking that slows it’s repetitiveness as the vehicle comes to a stop. This only happened after the install of the Powertrax no-slip unit.
Following is information on vehicle:
1996 Jeep Cherokee 2wd automatic. Owned and maintained since 1998. Daily driver. 167k miles
Since Powertrax install and trying to identify above referenced noise I have replaced the u-joints, lubed the driveshaft yoke, verified that the rear brakes are good, (just had them totally overhauled less than 10000 miles ago).
The rear shocks are less than a year old and I visually verified no loose or broken shackles or bolts on the leaf springs or axle.
The noise only happens when going forward, does not happen in reverse.
If I let the vehicle coast to a stop, it does not make the noise.
If I bring the vehicle to a stop with the emergency brake, it does not make the noise.
If I bring the vehicle to a stop after driving straight down a road and braking regularly, it does not make the noise.
It only happens in city driving, parking lots and during or after recent turns while braking. Cannot feel it on the brake pedal.
I have not felt any problems with drivability. Powertrax is functioning as designed as far as I can tell.
Just as a “let’s try this” I replaced the new brake shoes with new brake shoes and adjusted them correctly. Did not remove the noise.
Just looking for confirmation whether or not this is normal and expected. If not, any suggestions would be appreciated as my OCD about noises in the Jeepster is kicking in..

now for the cause..

BAD TRANSMISSION MOUNT Just replaced it and the engine mounts and no more noise....
Old 09-22-2016, 08:38 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by BruceB
This has been a 2 month situation..
I have a sound coming from my rear axle when braking to a stop. It sounds like a slight metal to metal clunking that slows it’s repetitiveness as the vehicle comes to a stop. This only happened after the install of the Powertrax no-slip unit.
Following is information on vehicle:
1996 Jeep Cherokee 2wd automatic. Owned and maintained since 1998. Daily driver. 167k miles
Since Powertrax install and trying to identify above referenced noise I have replaced the u-joints, lubed the driveshaft yoke, verified that the rear brakes are good, (just had them totally overhauled less than 10000 miles ago).
The rear shocks are less than a year old and I visually verified no loose or broken shackles or bolts on the leaf springs or axle.
The noise only happens when going forward, does not happen in reverse.
If I let the vehicle coast to a stop, it does not make the noise.
If I bring the vehicle to a stop with the emergency brake, it does not make the noise.
If I bring the vehicle to a stop after driving straight down a road and braking regularly, it does not make the noise.
It only happens in city driving, parking lots and during or after recent turns while braking. Cannot feel it on the brake pedal.
I have not felt any problems with drivability. Powertrax is functioning as designed as far as I can tell.
Just as a “let’s try this” I replaced the new brake shoes with new brake shoes and adjusted them correctly. Did not remove the noise.
Just looking for confirmation whether or not this is normal and expected. If not, any suggestions would be appreciated as my OCD about noises in the Jeepster is kicking in..

now for the cause..

BAD TRANSMISSION MOUNT Just replaced it and the engine mounts and no more noise....
Thanks for the update.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:45 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998

Well, no ****. I have the same locker on mine, and I just started noticing the same exact noise. I figured it was bad drums, since I had just replaced the drums and shoes when I put the locker in back in June. The funny part is I have a trans mount I've been meaning to put in.

So, what do you think the trans mount had to do with it?
Old 09-22-2016, 05:55 PM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996

some paranormal misalignment of a parabolical tempural adjustment of the rotating feeblethum of the rear hydrobaric velocity gears...or something like that..lol
Old 09-22-2016, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Ha! Good job! & thanks for the update.