Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

throttle position sensor check

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default throttle position sensor check

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport that has suddenly started to hesitate and act like it does not want to go. I have seen post where they say it was the throttle position sensor and that i should do a check with a multi-meter and I did. Now from what I understand there are three wires, so I hook the meters black lead to the ground on the battery and the red lead is the one I use to check the wire connector that came off of the TPS one should read 0 which makes this ground, one reads 5.1 and this one is the power, and the final one wire that I test that should read 0.9 cause it is the return. But it reads 4.6 on the meter and I did have the key in the ignition switch turned on. Did I do this right and do I have an issue with the TPS.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

When checking the TPS you're looking for the correct voltage on the power, and then for the correct range of voltage on the return, while you move the throttle. You do this while the engine is off.

So, you aren't looking for a single voltage, you are looking for it to be correct at the bottom end, and on the top end, and a smooth transition in between.