Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Thread?

Don't understand this website, don't know from a thread. What the hell. I want to change out my front bumper on my 00 XJ but there is this round plastic ball attached to the inside of the bumper with a hose going to it, what is that? Can it be eliminated? Will it fire off the air bags? Clueless.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome,
A thread is a series of posts, basically a conversation.

The round plastic ball is for your vacuum system, search the forum and find the relocation procedure.

Disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for 15 minutes and you should be ok.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

No need to disconnect the battery to relocate the vacuum reservoir. just unplug the hose and unscrew the ball. relocate anywhere in the engine bay you find handy and reroute the hose back to the ball being careful to not break any lines. The old lines can be a bit brittle. My ball no lives along side my coolant overflow bottle.

You don't want to eliminate it. The vacuum system needs the reservoir to function properly. Relocation is simple
Old 08-14-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by tacklebox
No need to disconnect the battery to relocate the vacuum reservoir. just unplug the hose and unscrew the ball. relocate anywhere in the engine bay you find handy and reroute the hose back to the ball being careful to not break any lines. The old lines can be a bit brittle. My ball no lives along side my coolant overflow bottle.

You don't want to eliminate it. The vacuum system needs the reservoir to function properly. Relocation is simple
+1

I always like preaching the disconnect the battery thing so things don't sideways if he hits an impact sensor.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Its best to disconnect the battery when doing a moderate job like that for the fact something may be corroded as such a wire and can short something out.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

The vacuum suppository is used by your cruise control and your A/C vents. If you delete it or get a leak in the lines going to it, your cruise will no longer work and your vents will be stuck on the defrost setting, blowing all air toward the windshield.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Hey Geezer. Up top there is this> "You can click anywhere to get to, say, CF's main start page, or down the line a bit is this forum with threads regarding Original Equipment Tech stuff for bout' 86-to 2001 Cherokees. Lastly is your thread in this forum.

You can add any page on the web to your "bookmarks, or "favorites" , in your browser, to find it again easily.

When you open the throttle plate with your foot on the gas, the intake manifold vacuum drops to nit. That vacuum ball, (reservoir), has check valves involved and will keep things like the heater controls working while you are climbing a grade or something like that. (without it your vents would stop blowing and defrost will come on when you gas it)