Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is there any way to Jerry-rig my door back in place?

Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Is there any way to Jerry-rig my door back in place?

My door was t boned pretty badly a while back. My neighbor and I took a crowbar and pried the door hinge back in place as best as we would. I have linked a video showing the current state of my door.

I want to fix it so I can eventually paint it without having to worry about the door overlap chipping away at the paint.

If anyone has any ideas, that dont involve going to a shop, It would be greatly appreciated! Thank you fellow Xj'ers!

Here is the video:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I had something similar on the drivers side front door. I thought the whole body was out of whack at first since the top was so far away from the body. I ended up loosening the hinges from the body (no small task). Once I loosened them and was able to move the door around it started fitting properly again. You also have the door strike latch (the part where the door locks to). That can be moved in 4 directions as well. Once you start moving these, you will most likely never get it to the point where it was when new. I finally got my door to fit very well, but you have to close it hard to get it to latch to the catch. I got tired of fiddling with it since it seemed to need the hinges and catch adjusted together and I got tired of loosening the damn hinges multiple times.