Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Thanks Michigan weather..

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Question Thanks Michigan weather..

Okay so heres the skinny.. I'm in the process of putting a 6.5 inch lift on and while attempting to remove my passenger leaf spring, the front bolt snapped off flush with the frame. So i drilled a 1/4 in hole in it and tried to use a easy out the pull the bolt out, but i can get enough torque on it with out slipping off it. Vise grips wont bite into the tough metal and neither will a pipe wrench. There is a square head on the end of the easy out so all that i can use on it is a crescent wrench which just slips off. I'm trying to do all that i can to get it out with out having to drill it out completely and rethreading it. I cant re-thread it bigger because then the new bolt wouldn't fit through the bushing on the leaf spring. And yes I've tried heating it with MAP several times and sprayed the life out of it with penetrating oil

HELP!

-Zach
Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Every write-up I've seen on the front leaf bolts has been a tale of woe and misery. I think, but am not sure, that the cure is to cut a section out of the unibody box member and weld it back together...or something like that. If you search back a couple three pages, this was just discussed yesterday or maybe even this morning and somebody put a link in there back to another thread that covered what to do.

Good luck, dude. If I was anywhere near TC, I'd bring beer and some get-r-done attitude.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Just found it: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rea...-scream-64190/
Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by CAEMI
Every write-up I've seen on the front leaf bolts has been a tale of woe and misery. I think, but am not sure, that the cure is to cut a section out of the unibody box member and weld it back together...or something like that. If you search back a couple three pages, this was just discussed yesterday or maybe even this morning and somebody put a link in there back to another thread that covered what to do.

Good luck, dude. If I was anywhere near TC, I'd bring beer and some get-r-done attitude.
Okay thanks man. Haha some beer would help for sure