Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Temp gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Temp gauge problem

Hello, I have a 2000 Grand Jeep Cherokee with 68,500 miles on it. When I have the air conditioner on and I am stopped at a traffic light, the temperature gauge starts creeping up. I am concerned, so I turn the air off and the gauge eventually returns to 200 when I am moving. This never happens if the air conditioner is off. I checked the coolant level this morning and it is full. Coolant was changed 2 years ago ( I think). I am the original owner of the Jeep (54 year old lady with limited auto experience). The weather here is 95-100 degrees in the spring and summer. The air works great and is the original factory installed. I have not had any problems with the Jeep other than this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

You need to post in the grand Cherokee section. But , You might want to see if the electric fan is coming on when you turn on the AC.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:19 AM

I would post in the Grand Cherokee section, but I do not seem to see one. When I search for that I end up being taken off this site and not to a Grand Cherokee site. Sorry didn't mean to offend.

Last edited by read4life; 07-29-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: error
Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

check fan clutch operation yet ?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM

Original Poster - Just in case you're not sure how to check the clutch fan operation, (if you are, my bad, no offense intended ), it's pretty easy.

Pop the hood when the Jeep is stone cold (sitting overnight) and try to turn the fan by pushing on the blade. If it moves easily, that's good; it's supposed to be loose when cold. If it has some resistance, make a note of it and then move on to the next step...

Take it out for a drive, do errands, off-road like you're running King of the Hammers, race imports, etc... (Whatever is your daily routine) Just get the Jeep up to operating temperature and keep it there for a while. Then, pull in somewhere, shut the Jeep off, pop the hood and try to turn the fan by hand again. (If you're worried about hot temps, wear a glove; I do. ) The fan should be difficult to turn; if it isn't, and it spins almost like it did before you even fired the Jeep up, you need a new fan clutch.

Also, IIRC Grand Cherokees don't have an electric fan. The 98 5.9 Limited did, and the newer 1999-2004 WJ Grand Cherokee had a weird hybrid, magic hydraulic clutch fan thingie, but that's wayyyy out of my league. If you have one of those Jeeps Ignore everything I've said and call a Priest.

Those fans creep me out.

(Just kidding.)

For future reference, when you're on the Cherokee Forum main page (https://www.cherokeeforum.com/) the Grand Cherokee section is the third section down from the top. No worries about posting in the wrong section, we've all done it. And at least you didn't come on asking 'what's the biggest size tire I can fit stock?' That question seems to tick everyone off. *L*

Oh! Also, one last thing. It's very helpful to include all of the information you can think of on the vehicle in question. For instance, I had a Grand Cherokee once, so if I was asking the same question I would have stated it like you did, but included the following...

"BTW - My particular money pit is a 1993 Grand Cherokee Sport, with a 5.2 V8, automatic transmission, stock engine and drivetrain. It seems to have a keen sense of the rare moments when I actually have two coins to rub together, and decides all on it's own that it's time for some new parts. Please, for the love of God, help me fix this P.O.S. so I can feed myself and pay the electric bill."

HTH!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJPhoenix

Also, IIRC Grand Cherokees don't have an electric fan. The 98 5.9 Limited did, and the newer 1999-2004 WJ Grand Cherokee had a weird hybrid, magic hydraulic clutch fan thingie, but that's wayyyy out of my league. If you have one of those Jeeps Ignore everything I've said and call a Priest.

Those fans creep me out.

(Just kidding.)
Now this I did not know. Good piece of info to know.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Now this I did not know. Good piece of info to know.
Glad to help!

Having strayed once from the XJ fold, (twice, if you count that little 'fling' with a TJ...) I I've learned a few things about the XJ's bigger, heftier brother.

And it only cost me a few Grand!

And some grey hair.

Several sleepless nights...

Come to think of it, I may never want to recall those moments again...