Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

TCU/TCM compatibility question?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default TCU/TCM compatibility question?????

I have a 99 transmission in my 89 xj and was wondering if i could wire in a 99 tcu/tcm to fix my shifting issues due to the output speed sensor pulsating 4x as fast and how much work would be needed to splice or wire in a new one
Old 03-18-2019, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,068 Likes on 858 Posts
Model: Comanche (MJ)

Yes, it's possible. I think the 98+ tcu connector might be shaped different. I don't recall what year that changed, might have been 2000. Otherwise, prior to that, the connector was essentially the same aside from the keying ridges (which could be shaved off) and the color (grey for Renix, green for HO, and red for the chrysler trans in the ZJs). So you might need to grab the wiring harness connector with the TCU.

When I did a 98 AW4 into my 89, I remember the wiring colors were almost identical, with the solenoid wires being black with the stripe versus white with the stripe. Off the top of my head the wiring differences would be needing to run the wire for the extra speed sensor on the front of the 99 AW4. I think the NSS is different and has an extra wire as well (not positive). You'll need to wire the TPS to the flat 3-pin connector instead of the square 4-pin connector, as the HO+ setup used the same input as the engine computer, instead of the second, backwards output. The obd2 data lines on the 99 won't matter as the data lines on the 89 just run to the yellow connector under the hood. The 89 engine computer won't throw any codes since it has no connection to the tcu. (yeah, it's late and I'm rambling a bit).
Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by lawsoncl
Yes, it's possible. I think the 98+ tcu connector might be shaped different. I don't recall what year that changed, might have been 2000. Otherwise, prior to that, the connector was essentially the same aside from the keying ridges (which could be shaved off) and the color (grey for Renix, green for HO, and red for the chrysler trans in the ZJs). So you might need to grab the wiring harness connector with the TCU.

When I did a 98 AW4 into my 89, I remember the wiring colors were almost identical, with the solenoid wires being black with the stripe versus white with the stripe. Off the top of my head the wiring differences would be needing to run the wire for the extra speed sensor on the front of the 99 AW4. I think the NSS is different and has an extra wire as well (not positive). You'll need to wire the TPS to the flat 3-pin connector instead of the square 4-pin connector, as the HO+ setup used the same input as the engine computer, instead of the second, backwards output. The obd2 data lines on the 99 won't matter as the data lines on the 89 just run to the yellow connector under the hood. The 89 engine computer won't throw any codes since it has no connection to the tcu. (yeah, it's late and I'm rambling a bit).
thank you i'll give this a try next week and let you know