Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tailpipe Hanging Bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001 XJ Limited
Model: Cherokee
Default Tailpipe Hanging Bracket?

I am looking into replacing my factory tailpipe and muffler on my 2001 Cherokee with a Dynomax Performance Tailpipe and muffler. I notice on the tailpipe there is a welded rod that goes up and hooks on to something on the undercarriage maybe? My question is what that rod attaches to? I think I may be missing a peice on my factory setup. When looking under my jeep, I see that rod goes up and has a rubber peice on the end, but is not attached to anything. I also see a similar peice coming down from the undercarriage that is hanging freely and not attached to anything. Is there a peice missing in between those two rods? Sorry for being wordy, but I'm just trying to be specific as possible. Thanks for any info.

Also, The muff and tailpipe don't seem to be loose at all. I just want to make sure when I install the new setup everything will attach where it is suppose to
Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM

Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L CRD

were is it hanging off from? is it on the back end hanging form the frame rail, or is it up in front of the axle just set a little behind the muffler?

form your description, i want to say it is the latter part. i've heard of those breaking off due to weak welds. easy fix though. you will see a bracket hanging off the underside of the body, and you need to just drill a hole in it that is big enough to put a bolt through. get a big enough washer and a nut with some of that plastic locking compound on the inside of it and re-hang the rubber hanger to that bracket. the nut and washer will retain the rubber piece to the bolt and it should hold no problem.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM

You are right on the money. It is the latter part you mentioned and I do have the peice hanging from the underside as well. I will go ahead and try what you said. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM

no problem, glad to be able to help
Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the same Dynymax on mine and it comes with new hangers , everything you need.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:41 PM

How does it sound? I saw one video of it on here and it sounded pretty good. I don't want something too loud, but with just a little throatiness. My stock tailpipe and muffler are pretty rusted, and this seemed like a pretty affordable upgrade. Only $143 at summit.

I want to try to put it on myself to save some money, but don't have access to a lift. I think I'm going to try to do it just on jack stands. What do you think about that? Will it be too difficult?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by baycountry16
How does it sound? I saw one video of it on here and it sounded pretty good. I don't want something too loud, but with just a little throatiness. My stock tailpipe and muffler are pretty rusted, and this seemed like a pretty affordable upgrade. Only $143 at summit.

I want to try to put it on myself to save some money, but don't have access to a lift. I think I'm going to try to do it just on jack stands. What do you think about that? Will it be too difficult?
you'd be able to do it without jack stands. when i did mine (removed cat, straight pipe out of a Magneflow), i didn't have stands or a lift. i actually used my skateboard as a creeper, lol.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baycountry16

Its very easy. Cut old out with a sawzal and everything is direct bolt on . It took me around 1 hr start to finish. And it sounds great . Not too loud at all unless you W.O.T. it. Then it sounds better. Im also running a Magnaflow hi-po cat. So yours may sound different than mine. If your not replacing the cat then make sure you leave enough pipe on cat to clamp muffler on. I dint use a lift. Just jack stands.

Last edited by troy fritz; 02-02-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM

I wasn't planning on replacing the cat. Is that a big deal with this setup? Will it work and sound okay with the OEM cat?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 PM

Also, what does W.O.T. it mean?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 PM

you'll be fine with the stock cat in there. the dynomax set up is a cat-back, which means that the only parts you are replacing are the muffler and tailpipe. if you wanted, you could always buy a universal performance cat if you wanted to replace it, but it is not completely necessary.