Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tail light a license plate light

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Tail light a license plate light

Okay I've owned this 98 Cherokee for 3 years now and have had this problem on and off the whole time.

Currently my left tail light is out as is the license plate light, fuse 7 is good pulled it and checked with testlight. Also front left markers work. I've swapped both rear bulbs to ensure the bulb does work.
I've looked for broken wires in common places i.e. talegate hinge.

I haven't found much on this issue thus far and hoping to get some help. Thank you.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter

Originally Posted by Josh Honigford
Okay I've owned this 98 Cherokee for 3 years now and have had this problem on and off the whole time.

Currently my left tail light is out as is the license plate light, fuse 7 is good pulled it and checked with testlight. Also front left markers work. I've swapped both rear bulbs to ensure the bulb does work.
I've looked for broken wires in common places i.e. talegate hinge.

I haven't found much on this issue thus far and hoping to get some help. Thank you.
I don't know if this will help you but have you checked the wiring harness plugs for corrosion? or maybe it in the wiring somewhere. The left tail light is also the place where the towing harness would plug into (at least in my rig) and I had to purchase a new tow harness as the one that was in the Xj when I purchased it was faulty. I still must have a short somewhere as when I hook up my trailer I don't dare use the E-Flashers it will temporally disable my right brake light on the trailer???? go figure when I tow anything I just don't use them. Ever.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:50 PM

The plugs look good no build up of any kind, have power running to them. Still not seeing any broken wires.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

Which connectors did you check? The left inner quarter or the top of the gate? If you have power at the top of the gate then maybe check continuity from ther to the plate light. The taillight wiring runs from the connector in the left rear quarter straight to the taillight. The plate light runs from there up the c pillar and and through the rubber boot to the gate connector. Maybe check the grounds that are in the left quarter also.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

Run a new wire to your right tail light and connect the license plate light and left taillight to it.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 AM

I ended up just running from the right tail light to the left for a temporary fix, license plate light is connected somewhere in there is working now too. Going to check every wire with a volt meter today and see what I come up with. I'm thinking it's just dropping voltage somewhere.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM

Year: '96XJ - '97TJ(RHD) - '98XJ(RWD)

Find a bulb that draws a good amount of current, like an old-school headlight bulb, and use it to check for voltage. It the bulb illuminates when you ground it out, wiring and connections to that point are good. If it does not, you have corrosion to deal with, or a connection that is hanging on my a few threads. Give it a shot.