Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

T Case Skid plate question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 V6
Default T Case Skid plate question

Hey guys,

I cannot figure this out. Any help would be great.

I was removing my T-case skid plate to install a t-case drop (until I can get an SYE installed). I had issues with one bolt that would not come loose. I was able to eventually twist and turn the skid plate enough to get it out but it pulled out the "nut" as well. It is not a weld nut, it is a type of nut that somehow was screwed or locked into the frame. Needless to say I need to replace that nut/bolt now to reinstall the skid plate.

Does anyone know what that part is called or where I can find one? Or any other idea to get that skid plate reinstalled? I am wondering it the hole is now too large to just reinstall another "nut".

Any help would be great!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mikefitz00
Hey guys,

I cannot figure this out. Any help would be great.

I was removing my T-case skid plate to install a t-case drop (until I can get an SYE installed). I had issues with one bolt that would not come loose. I was able to eventually twist and turn the skid plate enough to get it out but it pulled out the "nut" as well. It is not a weld nut, it is a type of nut that somehow was screwed or locked into the frame. Needless to say I need to replace that nut/bolt now to reinstall the skid plate.

Does anyone know what that part is called or where I can find one? Or any other idea to get that skid plate reinstalled? I am wondering it the hole is now too large to just reinstall another "nut".

Any help would be great!
Is it a stock skid plate or the crossmember?
Old 11-18-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 V6

It is the skid plate. The cross member is still good to go
Old 11-19-2016, 03:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I am putting a TC skid plate on my '00 that did not come with one. I am thinking of using what I call a rivnut. Google it. Pretty sure that is what is from the factory. In my '00 parts catalog it lists this:

11502850 BOLT, Hex Flange Head, M8x1.25x20
34201575 NUT, Insert, M8 x 1.25 x 18.29
Old 11-19-2016, 04:41 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I used self-tapping 1/2" bolts for frame-rail. Through bolts to attach to crossmember flange.
Attached Thumbnails T Case Skid plate question-dsc03711.jpg   T Case Skid plate question-dsc03528.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 05:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Can you weld? I had one of those rivnuts come loose on my sway bar. I was able to tack it back in place with a stick welder. Basically find a hole nearby that you can shove a stick rod through and tack the nut back down. Kind of a guess and test. The tack only keeps it from spinning, not holding the skid up.

Other option I would look at: Weld a piece of 1/4" flat bar to the frame and tap it for the bolt. That's what I plan to do when I swap the rear bump stops out as the old bolts snapped off in the holes.

IMHO the stock 'frame' is too thin to tap for anything more than a clamp for lines.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:00 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I tapped where the metal is doubled. Single layer frame-rail is very thin. Aftermarket rock sliders are attached the same way.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

I work in ship repair for a living. I deal in HEAVY steel. I just don't have any faith in a 3/8-16 or 1/2-13 screw threaded into material 1/16th or 1/8th thick.

When I installed my control arm drop brackets they came with self tappers for the lower arm gussets. When I tightened the 3/8" self tappers into the 'frame' they stripped the frame hole when barely pass snug. I drilled the correct size hole, i did not apply excessive force when tightening. That metal is just too thin to hold a real bolt. Next time I'm welding on the jeep, I will weld the gussets in to solve that issue.

As far as rock sliders attached with self tappers. I plan to weld in frame stiffeners and weld the sliders to those. Do you have experience with jacking the vehicle up by the sliders held on with self tappers? I do not, but I'm hesitant to find out. I trust my welds a lot more than a self tapper in sheet metal.

Steve, I don't mean to come across as argumentative. Coming from ship repair, we build everything heavy. Quite literally bomb proof. Because of that, I have a tendency to over build things. How well do these self tappers hold up to abuse?
Old 11-19-2016, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I work in ship repair for a living. I deal in HEAVY steel. I just don't have any faith in a 3/8-16 or 1/2-13 screw threaded into material 1/16th or 1/8th thick.

When I installed my control arm drop brackets they came with self tappers for the lower arm gussets. When I tightened the 3/8" self tappers into the 'frame' they stripped the frame hole when barely pass snug. I drilled the correct size hole, i did not apply excessive force when tightening. That metal is just too thin to hold a real bolt. Next time I'm welding on the jeep, I will weld the gussets in to solve that issue.

As far as rock sliders attached with self tappers. I plan to weld in frame stiffeners and weld the sliders to those. Do you have experience with jacking the vehicle up by the sliders held on with self tappers? I do not, but I'm hesitant to find out. I trust my welds a lot more than a self tapper in sheet metal.

Steve, I don't mean to come across as argumentative. Coming from ship repair, we build everything heavy. Quite literally bomb proof. Because of that, I have a tendency to over build things. How well do these self tappers hold up to abuse?

Yes I do use my Hi-Lift jack on my sliders no problems.