Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sway Bar to Coil Spring Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Sway Bar to Coil Spring Clearance

Hello guys, I just finished with installing the front 2" lift on my Cherokee XJ. Everything went good except for one thing. I have 1" or better clearance between the right sway bar link and the coil spring on the right side. The left side is all but touching. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Default Trac bar?

I am no expert so guys if I am wrong here feel free to chime in but it sounds like a case for a new trac bar.

When you move the axle further away from your "frame" you change the angle of your trac bar thus pulling your axle over closer to the mount of your trac bar aka the drivers side. Hope this makes sense.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 AM

Year: 1995

But we are goin to need to see pics of this new lift to make sure! haha
Old 09-19-2009, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Cherokee33
Hello guys, I just finished with installing the front 2" lift on my Cherokee XJ. Everything went good except for one thing. I have 1" or better clearance between the right sway bar link and the coil spring on the right side. The left side is all but touching. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
You may need longer sway bar links or a relocation bracket that RE makes. Snap a side view picture of the sway bar link and coil spring so we can see the angle of the sway bar itself.

I ran into this problem too but with a bigger lift. I installed longer links and it fixed it.

But it's weird that it's happening with a 2" lift. That's a minor height.

Last edited by muddeprived; 09-19-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:08 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

Had the same problem, turned out to be a bent sway bar. Only slightly, but enough to push it back. Didn't really notice the bend until I took it off and set it next to a new sway bar.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default 3" lift w/ similar problem

Once I extended mine using a couipling nut a longer bolt they evened out. I also put an adjustable trac bar in it which may have affected just as much. I am not sure it is strong enough. I like Muddeprived shock mount style extension. That looks way stronger.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dkross
Once I extended mine using a couipling nut a longer bolt they evened out. I also put an adjustable trac bar in it which may have affected just as much. I am not sure it is strong enough. I like Muddeprived shock mount style extension. That looks way stronger.
You can get them at www.zoneoffroad.com
Old 09-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Year: 2000

If the spring is physically closer to the sway bar, I'd check and make sure it is seated in the notch at the bottom like it should be. There is really only one place it can be if so. Is it possible that the bar is bent?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

do you have sway bar drop brackets? If so the holes on the brackets are elongated to help with this problem. i had the same issue, all i had to do was loosen the bracket and scoot it forward, then tighten.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice & suggestions. I can see where all of your replies could apply and I checked them all. I think I see what is happening. The 2" front spacers were installed and the coils springs placed correctly back into their cradle/channel @ the bottom and around the flare of the spacer at the top. During the 2" lift the sway bar ends rotated downward making them closer to the springs. The way the final coil is made at the top of the coil spring(slightly off-center) causes the right coil to be further away from the sway bar end and the opposite happens on the left side making the spring close to the sway bar end. This may have been present before the lift but I just didn't pay it any attention I guess mainly because the clearances were greater which didn't catch my eye. After driving and settling has occurred, I presently have approx. 1/4" clearance from the left coil spring with no interference while checking it over speed bumps and articulating. This is my best explanation of what has changed since the lift but still not cancelling out any of your suggestions. It rides and handles great especially with the Skyjacker Hydro shocks. The spidertrax 1-1/4" spacers worked out well also giving it a better/wider stance. The only thing left that I want to do is move up to 235 or 245 BF Goodrich TA KO tires. I'm presently running 225/75/R15's. Thanks again everyone with this issue and with questions I have had in other threads. I have attached 2 pics with the lift completed.

Thanks,
Cherokee33

Last edited by Cherokee33; 05-22-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

That looks great. It seems that longer links will move it up and away. But 1/4" away should be fine. I've always used the Hydros on jeeps cuz they are valved for our light weight rigs. Good, but cheap shocks.

You jeep looks very nice man.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Thanks Mudeprived, it's not a big time lift with big tires like most on this forum but it's a dd and 2" is all my Dad would agree with for right now. He would like to go bigger but don't want the possible headaches that comes with the bigger lifts. I am experiencing a slight vibration from about 28 to 35 mph. It is very slight and not really noticeable on a rough/coarse road, but it can be felt on a smooth road. We may have to shim the rear axle a little to clear it up. Then again, the tailpipe is unclamped & against the hitch, so we are going to get that fixed first just to make we're not feeling any vibrations from that.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks Mudeprived, it's not a big time lift with big tires like most on this forum but it's a dd and 2" is all my Dad would agree with for right now. He would like to go bigger but don't want the possible headaches that comes with the bigger lifts. I am experiencing a slight vibration from about 28 to 35 mph. It is very slight and not really noticeable on a rough/coarse road, but it can be felt on a smooth road. We may have to shim the rear axle a little to clear it up. Then again, the tailpipe is unclamped & against the hitch, so we are going to get that fixed first just to make we're not feeling any vibrations from that.
2" gives the cherokee a nice agressive stance. I loved my 2"......while I had it.

You can try shimming and if that fails, drop the t-case like 1/2" or so.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Thanks everyone for your advice & suggestions. I can see where all of your replies could apply and I checked them all. I think I see what is happening. The 2" front spacers were installed and the coils springs placed correctly back into their cradle/channel @ the bottom and around the flare of the spacer at the top. During the 2" lift the sway bar ends rotated downward making them closer to the springs. The way the final coil is made at the top of the coil spring(slightly off-center) causes the right coil to be further away from the sway bar end and the opposite happens on the left side making the spring close to the sway bar end. This may have been present before the lift but I just didn't pay it any attention I guess mainly because the clearances were greater which didn't catch my eye. After driving and settling has occurred, I presently have approx. 1/4" clearance from the left coil spring with no interference while checking it over speed bumps and articulating. This is my best explanation of what has changed since the lift but still not cancelling out any of your suggestions. It rides and handles great especially with the Skyjacker Hydro shocks. The spidertrax 1-1/4" spacers worked out well also giving it a better/wider stance. The only thing left that I want to do is move up to 235 or 245 BF Goodrich TA KO tires. I'm presently running 225/75/R15's. Thanks again everyone with this issue and with questions I have had in other threads. I have attached 2 pics with the lift completed.

Thanks,
Cherokee33
very nice looking rig!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM

Thanks, Captainwoot. Wow, very nice rig yourself! I really like the proportion of wheel to fender clearance. That's what I would like to go to next. Awesome ride!!! Is that brackets under the front bumper for a rod rack? Do you fish?

Quick Reply: Sway Bar to Coil Spring Clearance