Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sway bar bushing size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Sway bar bushing size?

I am new to the forum and have already found a lot of great information here! I just bought a 4wd 98 Cherokee classic with 131K miles, all stock. It will be a daily driver for my wife and daughter. Overall, it appears to be in pretty good condition. But, I have a few things to work on. I have already flushed out my heater core because it was only putting out luke-warm air. I am also replacing the trac bar because it is making the popping noise on the driver's side where it attaches to the frame. I know this is where the noise is coming from because when I disconnect the trac bar at the frame, it no longer makes the popping noise when I turn the wheels. I have ordered a Moog trac bar from Rockauto.com for $90. If that doesn't solve the problem, I will probably need to figure out how to replace the bracket where it attaches to the frame. If anybody has done this, I would be interested to know where you obtained the bracket from.

I also see that the control arm bushings and sway bar bushings are worn out. From reading threads on this forum, I am planning to purchase the Daystar control arm bushing kit from 4wd.com. But, I do not know which sway bar bushings to buy. Apparently, there are several different size sway bars (measured in millimeters diameter) that were used on 98 Cherokees. Does anyone have any advice on an easy way for me to know which size sway bar I have?

My last project is the intermittent window switch problems. This forum has been a lot of help. I am replacing the master control switch unit in the drivers door with one I have purchased on ebay that the seller guarantees will work. If this doesn't solve my problems, I will proceed to check the wiring running from the doors into the cab.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me on these questions!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242 inline six

If you have a big enough cresent wrench close it around the middle of the sway bar and measure the opening of the jaws thats how I did mine.I didn't have a dial caliper at the time.