Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Swapped out Wheels - alignment off?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Swapped out Wheels - alignment off?!

Hello Fellow Cherokee Bros,

I upgraded my stock 15" steel wheels on my 2000 XJ for the 5 spoke "Ecco" alloys. I used my existing tires as they only have 5K miles on them. When I got my XJ back I noticed vibration at highway speeds, about 60 mph. Figured the wheels were not balanced correctly, but the tire shop was closed at this time. I had a lot of errands to run and put about 120 miles on the rig before I could get back into tire shop and during that time I also noticed the alignment was off - pulling to the right. This morning they rebalanced the wheels, confirmed they were out of balance. The vibration stopped but it still pulls to the right. I have to correct by steering to the left at about 10 o'clock.

Any ideas what happened? Did the out of balance tires mess up the alignment? Do I have to spend $75 on an alignment now?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Scottiem303; 12-10-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-10-2018, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Sounds fishy - vibration shouldn't have thrown off the alignment unless it was some serious vibration.

It's possible that the vibrations pushed a steering component that was on the verge of failure into failing and the extra slop is allowing some wandering. You'd think the shop would have noticed that when they were under there though.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Sounds fishy - vibration shouldn't have thrown off the alignment unless it was some serious vibration.

It's possible that the vibrations pushed a steering component that was on the verge of failure into failing and the extra slop is allowing some wandering. You'd think the shop would have noticed that when they were under there though.
It was pretty severe shaking, but ya, I thought what you thought! I am pretty dumbfounded. What steering component could have gone out? I just cant make sense of it.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

You'd have to check what's off.
There are plenty of resources for doing an "at home" alignment. Many claim that it's nearly as good as a shop.
75 is better than the 90 they want around here though.

The thing is, I would think a bad component would come with vibration or wobble.

There are guys on here that do tires professionally, maybe they can enlighten us as to a valid reason.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:39 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 605 Likes on 515 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Scottiem303
Hello Fellow Cherokee Bros,

The vibration stopped but it still pulls to the right. I have to correct by steering to the left at about 10 o'clock.

Any ideas what happened? Did the out of balance tires mess up the alignment? Do I have to spend $75 on an alignment now?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Does it actually pull to the right, needing constant steering input?...or simply have the steering wheel not dead ahead, so that it need pointing straight ahead, but no "tugging" or steering input from you?

If the former, your wheels are not aligned..there are a few ways to check..google

if the latter, it can be corrected by adjusting the draglink and tie rod ends..its counter-intuitive, and NOT the way the FSM says, but as I recall, make sure the steering wheel is held dead ahead, adjust the draglink end till the DS wheel is toe dead ahead, then the PS tie-rod to make PS wheel dead ahead. Thats how I got mine spot on after a lift. I have a few ways to measure toe.

any adjustment of these parts cause steering wheel position to alter, unless it is held or locked dead ahead
Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by awg
Does it actually pull to the right, needing constant steering input?...or simply have the steering wheel not dead ahead, so that it need pointing straight ahead, but no "tugging" or steering input from you?

If the former, your wheels are not aligned..there are a few ways to check..google

if the latter, it can be corrected by adjusting the draglink and tie rod ends..its counter-intuitive, and NOT the way the FSM says, but as I recall, make sure the steering wheel is held dead ahead, adjust the draglink end till the DS wheel is toe dead ahead, then the PS tie-rod to make PS wheel dead ahead. Thats how I got mine spot on after a lift. I have a few ways to measure toe.

any adjustment of these parts cause steering wheel position to alter, unless it is held or locked dead ahead
Thank you for the info, kind of what I was thinking. But listen to this update: I took it back to the tire shop one more time after work. They checked if the wheels were balanced, for the third time and looked to see if the wheels were bent or misshaped at all. All checked out ok. So they rotated the wheels around. All the issues seemed to be fixed.

To answer your question, it did take constant input, to the left to keep the vehicle going straight. Although, now it seems to be fine after rotating the wheels. What does that mean??
Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 PM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Scottiem303

Thank you for the info, kind of what I was thinking. But listen to this update: I took it back to the tire shop one more time after work. They checked if the wheels were balanced, for the third time and looked to see if the wheels were bent or misshaped at all. All checked out ok. So they rotated the wheels around. All the issues seemed to be fixed.

To answer your question, it did take constant input, to the left to keep the vehicle going straight. Although, now it seems to be fine after rotating the wheels. What does that mean??

May have been a sticking brake caliper. I had that happen once when swapping tires. If it starts to pull again, I would recommend checking that first.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cherojakee

May have been a sticking brake caliper. I had that happen once when swapping tires. If it starts to pull again, I would recommend checking that first.
Good idea. I will let ya'll know if there are any updates. As always, appreciate all of the help!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

If the vehicle is pulling to one side, then you hit the brakes and it feels like it abruptly pulls in the opposite direction, that is a strong indication that a caliper is sticking. Common on XJs and if you ever suspect this is happening, it is highly recommended that you address it promptly. It is a fire/melting hazard when ignored.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
If the vehicle is pulling to one side, then you hit the brakes and it feels like it abruptly pulls in the opposite direction, that is a strong indication that a caliper is sticking. Common on XJs and if you ever suspect this is happening, it is highly recommended that you address it promptly. It is a fire/melting hazard when ignored.
If it happens again I’ll try that. Thanks
Old 12-11-2018, 03:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001

It could have been a tire pull by them moving the tire to the rear it will drive good until you move the tire back up front and then it will pull again , a easy way to see if you have a tire pull all you need to do is move the tire on the right to the left and the left to the right and if the pull moves to the other side then it is a tire pull .
Old 12-11-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tech
It could have been a tire pull by them moving the tire to the rear it will drive good until you move the tire back up front and then it will pull again , a easy way to see if you have a tire pull all you need to do is move the tire on the right to the left and the left to the right and if the pull moves to the other side then it is a tire pull .
X2 on the tire pull. I had a pull to the right on my Ford Ranger, and figured I had problems. Upon mentioning to my dad, (mechanic for over 50 years), he told me what to check.

Try running your hand over the rear tires, you may find that they have a slight, almost feathered or cupped feel. It probably wont be noticeable by eye but you will probably feel it. I rotated them to the rear and never had a problem again. They will most likely begin to wear normally and hopefully return to normal.

Do you do a lot of city driving or highway driving? Maybe more frequent rotations may be needed.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Red1992XJ
X2 on the tire pull. I had a pull to the right on my Ford Ranger, and figured I had problems. Upon mentioning to my dad, (mechanic for over 50 years), he told me what to check.

Try running your hand over the rear tires, you may find that they have a slight, almost feathered or cupped feel. It probably wont be noticeable by eye but you will probably feel it. I rotated them to the rear and never had a problem again. They will most likely begin to wear normally and hopefully return to normal.

Do you do a lot of city driving or highway driving? Maybe more frequent rotations may be needed.
Most of the miles I have put on it were highway - bought it 3 months ago. The tires only have 5K miles on them. I will do what you mention above and let you know. Drive into work today was nice, drove straight the whole time.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee

Could have been a low pressure situation in that one tire they put to rear. They had to redo the balance right.. kids these days don't adjust pressures on mounting and balancing.

I'v asked for such service, and tipped them extra for it. Only to get home and find tires differing by 20lbs or so.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
Could have been a low pressure situation in that one tire they put to rear. They had to redo the balance right.. kids these days don't adjust pressures on mounting and balancing.

I'v asked for such service, and tipped them extra for it. Only to get home and find tires differing by 20lbs or so.
Hahaha, totally. I try to do all my own service when possible to ensure it is done right. I pretty much don't trust anyone.