Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sub installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 XJ Sport 2007 KJ Rubicon
Engine: 242 4.0 Ho, 226 3.7 V6
Default Sub installation

Ok so my current system has NO bass. I currently have an aftermarket Pioneer deck and 4 pioneer speakers to replace my blown stock units. I use my Jeep to haul stuff so a massive box in the rear is not the most practical idea. I thought of something like the Shaker system in the mustangs. I was hoping to put it in the rear storage pocket and stash an amp (if needed) behind the spare for a clean look. I know they make a drop in kit but it's black (my interior is gray) and I'm a DIY kinda guy. If anyone has done this or any type of custom enclosure any advice and pics would be great. Thanks https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...1&d=1244403296
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 PM
jag

Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6cyl

If you put an amp to your pioneer speakers you should get some ample bass.
I don't know how good your speakers are, but a good quality will sound great.

If your looking for something more without losing space you could rig a sub inside your full size spare. You just need to make an enclosure and platform for it to sit on.
You can find many photos on the internet. We did it in my friends rig, it's not the best qauilty sound but it does the job without taken up any space.

I just recently hooked up four boston acustics to a small amp with my pioneer blutoothhead unit. They have a nice deep tone and are crystal clear when cranked up.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:52 PM
jag

Where in n jersey are you from. I'm from nutley.
Just moved to brick though
Old 06-07-2009, 02:56 PM

The system had good base when I had the stock paper cones before they blew. I picked up the pioneers from WM and my bass went to crap. I get a rubbery almost "farting" sound when I crank it up w/ the bass turned up any amount instead of a nice deep boom. I have relocated the front speakers to the kick panels cause I cruise doorless often. Wouldn't an amp just increase the power resulting in an even worse bass response. I thought the Pioneers would be decent cause I am impressed with the quality of the pioneer deck and I didn't skimp on the quality and price. WRONG Should I just get rid of my current speakers and try a different one before trying the sub/ amp route?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by jag
Where in n jersey are you from. I'm from nutley.
Just moved to brick though
Up in Sussex County. Almost as north as you get before you leave "civilization". Newton to be exact
Old 06-07-2009, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0HO

i have pioneer 6.5s, the bass response isnt that great, ive been planning on a sub for a while. a friend of mine is giving me a box +2 subs. i have a cheap 300W single sub plus 300W amp. ill sell it for 40 bucks. its brand new in box.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM
jag

Since your radio is only producing 12 to 13 watts, it's not able to push your speakers to their full capacity let alne the sub. Your speakers will perform to their full potential with a amp. A 50 watt amp should be good enough, get a 5 channel if your plaing on hooking up a sub. You might even want to get a 100 watt amp then.

Really no need for the sub unless your looking for some banging bass as the kids say. Also if you put the sub where you stated you'll get alot of rattle
Old 06-07-2009, 03:42 PM
jag

Oh and when I mention amps it's per channel. People think when they have a 300 watt amp they are pushing that to there speakers. for the most part thats divded between channels. 100watt amp is 50 per channel. It's one of the biggest adverising scams known to man. Cruthchfield usuall gives you the true ampage per channel.

Just don't want you to get confused when people state how big their amps are
Old 06-07-2009, 04:13 PM

I know how the whole wattage/ channel deal works. And I can get my speakers to go PLENTY loud for my tastes. (it has a LOUD function with multiple settings that makes life easier) I just don't like how when I turn the bass up more than 1 notch depending on the song (goes up to 6) it becomes hoarse and sounds like crap. I don't need a "slamming" bass setup as they say (I don't have stock in advil or tyeanol lol) , just a little bit of deep rumble to enhance the music instead of the hoarse nonsense I get now. Should I try some different speakers or try a sub first.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Former Sponsor

I could build you a sub box to mount in that little storage spot in the first post. I could make it for an 8" sub. I have two 15"s in my XJ and still have room to haul stuff. If you want something nice made up for it let me know and I will get you a price!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 PM
jag

You could just get a sub but you'll need a amp.

You could look into something like the kenwood ksc-sw10.
I think thats the number, it will fit under a seat or you could rig it somewhere, deff a space saver with just enough bass. A little pricey probably, might find something like it on sale though
Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by KFXHellRaiser
I could build you a sub box to mount in that little storage spot in the first post. I could make it for an 8" sub. I have two 15"s in my XJ and still have room to haul stuff. If you want something nice made up for it let me know and I will get you a price!
I plan on doing my own enclosure, probably fiberglass with a sheet metal skin fot that "tough" look. But where can I find a 8" sub? Thats the size I measured out to fit but the smallest sub I could find was a 10".
Old 06-07-2009, 04:40 PM
jag

pioneer premier makes a nice 8 inch, which is a low profile.

Deff would be perfect for your project. Crutchfield should carry it
Old 06-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Former Sponsor

I could do it with the face being polished diamond plate. I can hook you up with something really nice for not alot of money. I would order the sub build it all and ship it to you ready to install.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

It would be like this. Where all the black is it would be polished diamond plate. Prolly with an 8" kicker sub that would be black. Man it would be sweet

Quick Reply: Sub installation