Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stumped, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stumped, any advice?

Just replaced flexplate in 1999 Xj and everything seemed good, for about 5 minutes... Truck ran smooth as ever and when topping off tranny fluid it died out. It would crank but not start. Was told most likely CPS so replaced and same thing. When I replaced flexplate it took 2 days. I left hood open over night and it rained pretty good. Could this may have caused a problem with something? Like I say, It ran great for that 5 minutes. Any and all advice is welcome. Really need to figure this out as Im suppose to be heading out of town with work very soon. Help, share your suggestions, they are very much appreciated
Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Error Codes?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ClaytonYankee
Just replaced flexplate in 1999 Xj and everything seemed good, for about 5 minutes... Truck ran smooth as ever and when topping off tranny fluid it died out. It would crank but not start. Was told most likely CPS so replaced and same thing. When I replaced flexplate it took 2 days. I left hood open over night and it rained pretty good. Could this may have caused a problem with something? Like I say, It ran great for that 5 minutes. Any and all advice is welcome. Really need to figure this out as Im suppose to be heading out of town with work very soon. Help, share your suggestions, they are very much appreciated

How did you hold the flexplate when you torqued the crankshaft attach bolts to 105 ft. lbs. ?

What brand CPS did you install?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
How did you hold the flexplate when you torqued the crankshaft attach bolts to 105 ft. lbs. ? Im unsure what you mean by "hold". The CPS was bought at an O Reilys. would this be a problem possibly? It did run fine for that 5ish minutes after everything was back together. Are you maybe thinking the CPS did go out and the new one put in is bad? guess thats possible?

What brand CPS did you install?
Not able to see at moment, not at home
Old 04-23-2015, 04:22 PM

Im unsure what you mean by "hold". The CPS was bought at an O Reilys. would this be a problem possibly? It did run fine for that 5ish minutes after everything was back together. Are you maybe thinking the CPS did go out and the new one put in is bad? guess thats possible?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ClaytonYankee
Im unsure what you mean by "hold". The CPS was bought at an O Reilys. would this be a problem possibly? It did run fine for that 5ish minutes after everything was back together. Are you maybe thinking the CPS did go out and the new one put in is bad? guess thats possible?

I hope we're talking about the same thing...replacing the flexplate, which would require 'holding' the flexplate stationary while the bolts are tightened.

Some folks have put a screwdriver (or such) in the CPS slots to hold the flexplate and end up distorting them, resulting in a no-CPS signal situation.

Here's the bolts I'm talking about:

Name:  DSCF2974.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  900.1 KB

Here's a method to 'hold' the flexplate that won't dick up the slots:

Name:  DSCF2969.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  906.1 KB

Here's the slots I'm referring to:

Name:  DSCF2976.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  905.8 KB

~~~~

CPS', other than OEM (Mopar) CPS' seem to suffer a crib death often.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:14 PM

No, we spun crankshaft bolt to line up holes. It ran for about 5 minutes then died. Replaced CPS thinking it may have been damaged during removal/installation of transmission. Would the computer maybe have "stored" info for the 5 minutes it was running. I dont know much but learning. Thanks