Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stuck Front Diff Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Stuck Front Diff Plug

So I pulled the front diff cover off drained and prepped everything. I went to go repaint it since the paint was flaking off. I tried to get the plug off but couldn't. I used jack stands as per recommendation to get to the top 2 bolts on the front diff. Originally a control arm arm was blocking access and raising the body via the rails,worked great. However I'm unable to get the plug off. I hit it with some heat and just picked up a propane torch to apply real heat. I don't see any goop on the plug which makes me believe that an idiot used an impact gun to apply the drain plug. I almost broke my 3/8 ratchet trying to get it off. I'm going to pick up a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and try using my 3 ft breaker bar. I'm following the standard lefty loosey assumption for the dana front. If I hit the unit with massive amount of heat and use the breaker bar and it still doesn't come out. Do I have any other options?

A friend is lending me his electric impact gun as a suggestion. I couldn't find a replacement front diff cover (maybe quadratec?). I saw that advance had a crome unit with no plug. You'll have to drill your own plug and buy the plastic push in cap. Which is more of annoyance. If the massive heat and impact gun gets the cap off, am I able to get a new plug that has the magnetic tip for shavings? The heat would surely destroy the magnetization of the drain plug.

The good news is the diff is in great shape and there were no shavings on the plug at 208k. Willing to listen to all suggestions and thanx for your help.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

if all fails and you cant get the plug out go to the JY and get a new diff cover. or order heavy duty diff cover...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12011_2000.htm