Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stuck in 4 Full or maybe not....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Stuck in 4 Full or maybe not....

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm also new to XJ ownership. I just picked up a 2000 XJ Sport with 180K on the clock.

I'm having a few issues I'd really like some help with.

1. The 4 Full light won't go off. The lever says 2WD, but the light stays on. I checked out the linkages and had a friend move the lever while I was under the car and everything is moving that I can see....but the light stays on. I've tried backing up and shifting on some gravel but no dice. How do I tell if I'm really stuck in 4full or if the light is just on the fritz?

2. I thought that it might be a TC fluid issue, so I tried to detatch the hex wrench type full plugs but they are firmly stuck. I sprayed some PB Blaster on there but still no joy. Any ideas how I can free them?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

If you can see the linkage on the case move with the lever, it's likely just a bad position switch.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"Any ideas how I can free them?"

You'll find the following procedure very useful when working on your Jeep:
Heat and lots of it tempered with a little rage .
Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee

If its in 4 wheel then the front axles will most likely bind while hard turning on dry pavement, provided they are ujoint and not cv
Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 PM

Default Thanks everyone

It was wheel hopping in turns and just not acting very nice at all on pavement yesterday so I used my AAA and had it flatbedded to my local machanic (who is an amazingly honest and reliable guy) and he got it out of 4wd and just said it needed to have the tension released but to drive it around and see that it was fixed.

I went to a local dirt, gravel uphill and leaf dump and it shifted into 4 high full time and out with no problems. The indicator went off and on appropriately and there was no wheel hopping.

But then later tonight I shifted into 4 hi full time and out again but....alas....the indicator light says it's stuck in 4 full again

No binding or wheel hop in 4 Full or 2wd (as indicated by the shifter) but the Full Time light never goes out.

When I'm driving at speed (20mph or so_ , if I pull up slightly on the 4wd lever I can hear a faint buzz just as I feel some tension into "part time" that goes away when I put it down all the way into 2wd.

I'm really starting to think this is a light switch issue. The 4lo and part time lights never come on and the "full time" light won't go out. I can feel the lever "snicking" when I pull it.

Anyone have any experience replacing the switch? What is the part called and does it require special tools or a lift?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by JCHeff1979
It was wheel hopping in turns and just not acting very nice at all on pavement yesterday so I used my AAA and had it flatbedded to my local machanic (who is an amazingly honest and reliable guy) and he got it out of 4wd and just said it needed to have the tension released but to drive it around and see that it was fixed.

I went to a local dirt, gravel uphill and leaf dump and it shifted into 4 high full time and out with no problems. The indicator went off and on appropriately and there was no wheel hopping.

But then later tonight I shifted into 4 hi full time and out again but....alas....the indicator light says it's stuck in 4 full again

No binding or wheel hop in 4 Full or 2wd (as indicated by the shifter) but the Full Time light never goes out.

When I'm driving at speed (20mph or so_ , if I pull up slightly on the 4wd lever I can hear a faint buzz just as I feel some tension into "part time" that goes away when I put it down all the way into 2wd.

I'm really starting to think this is a light switch issue. The 4lo and part time lights never come on and the "full time" light won't go out. I can feel the lever "snicking" when I pull it.

Anyone have any experience replacing the switch? What is the part called and does it require special tools or a lift?

Thanks again for all of your help!
I'm pretty sure the switch is on the back of the case. And you wouldn't notice anything too different if it's stuck in fulltime, it was designed to be run 100% of the time.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The "full-time" transfer case can be a bear.

First off, do you have all same size and brand tires all at the same pressure?

Secondly, this is how you're supposed to dhift the t-case:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".
Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by JJCIII
If its in 4 wheel then the front axles will most likely bind while hard turning on dry pavement, provided they are ujoint and not cv
Except he was stuck in "full-time" and it won't hop like in "part-time".
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by cruiser54

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.
x2, you will feel/hear it pop in.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 AM

Wink

Other than an empty tank and some bald tires?

When I went to bed, I put the jeep in the garage with the lever in the 2WD position but the Full Time light was on. When I woke up this AM, it was off!

What is really frustrating me is that I can't tell if I'm really in 4hi or not! I guess I'll have to just drive a tank and see how bad the mileage dips. That or find some mud and see if I get stuck. I suppose that would be more fun.....

Originally Posted by austinjoe13
I'm pretty sure the switch is on the back of the case. And you wouldn't notice anything too different if it's stuck in fulltime, it was designed to be run 100% of the time.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 AM

But will I also hear it pop out?

Today I think I will:

1. Find a muddy hill and see if I have worse or better traction regardless of what the light says and rely on the lever.

2. Keep a close eye on the fuel gauge and see if I'm doing worse in 2wd than usual.

3. See about getting a replacement switch from Autozone.

Any other suggestions?

Oh, and many many thanks for all the help so far!
Originally Posted by austinjoe13
x2, you will feel/hear it pop in.

Last edited by JCHeff1979; 08-27-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Yep,

All 4 tires are the same brand with the same wear as near as I can tell. PSI looks to be the same within 1 or 2 PSI as gauged by a new digital stick.

Originally Posted by cruiser54
The "full-time" transfer case can be a bear.

First off, do you have all same size and brand tires all at the same pressure?

Secondly, this is how you're supposed to dhift the t-case:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".
Old 08-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L H/O

Try this: Push the lever all the way to the most forward gear it will go in. Your tcase should now be in 2WD. Is the light still on? If not, pull the lever backwards. If you feel 2 different clicks, you were in fact in 2WD and have a bad sensor.I you only felt one gear, you were in 4WD part-time. If it was in 4WD part-time, that would explain the popping. If not, some other front end part.