Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

stubborn 95 xj hub

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default stubborn 95 xj hub

Hey
everyone, new to the forum although I've owned my 95 XJ for about a year now, it's my first jeep and love it: the inexpensive parts, reliability, customization options, etc. Anyway I decided to replace my front hubs and front axle u joints. The car has 185k and I don't think either have ever been replaced. Furthermore the 4wd clunks extremely loudly when under full steering lock in either direction and when the front axel really trasmits power to the wheels.

Everything was going smoothly up until removing the hub. We soaked it with PB blaster, didnt budge. Tried sledge hammering it with PB blaster, didn't budge. Tried chiseling between the dust plate and the hub with a chisel and a putty knife to no avail. I did the socket extension steering trick where you wedge an extension on your hub and turn against it from a stationary point. Even with the car running, the steering couldn't do it and I didn't want to stress my myeering system. We added heat to all the processes and still no luck. Also the driver side hub is halfway off... with one half still siezed to the knuckle/dust plate. I'm getting a slide hammer tomorrow and giving that a try.

Has anyone had this much trouble with a hub and what did you do? Is there a thread someone can recommend.

Also, I was thinking of finding some bolts with the same thread as those on the hub, threading them from the back and beating on them outward? Anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails stubborn 95 xj hub-img_20171103_191834.jpg