Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stripped interior now jeep cranks but wont start. HELP!

Old 10-05-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stripped interior now jeep cranks but wont start. HELP!

So i have a 99 xj took the interior out of it this passed weekend. Had some mold and it's just a toy so figured why not. But now the jeep won't start it cranks and if you put some starting fluid to it than it will spudder until you stop spraying fluid. The only thing i can think of is when i cut the tail light wires but i dont see how that would affect it. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I am going to take a guess on this one so dont quote me on it. I believe that the fuel pump wiring goes inside the vehicle near the tail lights. Sure you only cut the tail light wires and not the pump wires? Why did you cut them anyways?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:58 PM

I'll hace to check that. I cut them to eventually run trailer lights so I dont have to keep buying sets of tail lights every time one of them meets a tree.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by John_gisty
So i have a 99 xj took the interior out of it this passed weekend. Had some mold and it's just a toy so figured why not. But now the jeep won't start it cranks and if you put some starting fluid to it than it will spudder until you stop spraying fluid. The only thing i can think of is when i cut the tail light wires but i dont see how that would affect it. Any help would be great. Thanks!
You cut the ground wire. It's normally behind the spare tire mount.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

I would reference your FSM before cutting any wires again. Seems like everyone else nailed it with the fuel pump ground.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:46 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Ockham's razor would suggest that if you reconnect the wires you cut, it will fire right back up.

Do that, and then get the FSM as was suggested - or at least a Haynes or Chilton's manual with the wiring diagrams in it and cut the correct wires.... or you could buy or make tail light armor boxes that will protect your tail lights without you having to cut wires.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it
Old 10-05-2017, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I'll hace to check that. I cut them to eventually run trailer lights so I dont have to keep buying sets of tail lights every time one of them meets a tree.
You know you can buy a trailer harness that plugs right into the factory harness with no cutting required, right? Etrailer sells them.