Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange Transmission Fluid Replacement Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Strange Transmission Fluid Replacement Issue

The other night, one of the transmission fluid hoses on my 1999 xj came loose and dumped out all of my fluid. After getting the hose reattached I've been having a strange time replacing the transmission fluid.

After the fluid all spilled out initially, the transmission dipstick was completely dry. I slowly added about 2-3 quarts of fluid, ran it to temp, cycled the gears and put it in neutral to check the stick. Looking at the stick, there was no clear level of fluid but rather a thin film covering the whole stick. I thought the new fluid must just be very clear compared to the old one, and assumed I overfilled it. I went down under and unscrewed the drain bolt but not even a drop of fluid came out.

So far the stick has come out looking soaked almost along its entire length every time I check, but with no clear level of fluid. Did I add too much or too little?

Much appreciated y'all
Old 02-15-2017, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

The pan holds around 3-4 quarts, max. The torque converter holds around 8 quarts. So if you only added 2-3 quarts, it is likely it went to the torque converter. Check it again after it has sat for several hours. I think the issue you are having is the fluid you dumped down the dip stick tube is coating the tube. When you check it, it's picking up fluid from the tube walls. And, you are checking with it running right?
Old 02-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I was assuming, would the torque converter also lose its fluid in the case i described? And yes Ive been checking with it running at temp and in neutral.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Add little bits at a time... quarter pints. And yes... it takes twenty minutes to clear the tube so it doesn't read on the stick. Once you have it at a little over min on the stick, drive it a small bit. To heat up the gears. Park it running for 10 mins. Then recheck. Warm Trans fluid is not the same as warm engine.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by chiefpeef
would the torque converter also lose its fluid in the case i described?

Yep. Add some fluid!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I had a cooler line get cut by the serp belt last fall. Took all of 5 quarts of ATF to fill/register..
Old 02-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

the tranny cooler in the rad is also to warm the tranny to equalize. they both work better when hot.