Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange Solution for Trans Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Strange Solution for Trans Stalling

Hey everyone. I'm a new jeep owner and new to this forum, so i just wanted to say hi and share a tough diag.
I found a 92 cherokee 4.0 4x4 for sale locally for the right price but it stalls when you put it in gear. So I repaired all the vacuum leaks and the same issue was present. the moment it went into D or R it would stall out very quickly. So i found that from the battery terminal i was only getting 10.2V to the main fuse carrier. OK, surely that was it. Nope, new battery terminal and correct voltages but stalling still exhists.

Felt like it was stuck in gear. the truck would kinda lurch and die. Torque converter clutch was locked. Trans fluid was OK. as a last resort i unplugged the TCU while the engine was idling and it went into gear just fine and drove around! i plugged the tcu back in and NO issues. New fluid and trans filter this 200+ thousand mile trans drives like new.

Hopefully this can help someone having a similar issue. i couldnt find any info about this except at
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2922823/AW4-manual1

BUUUUT i do have one question and hopefully someone can clarify this. when my front drive shaft turns and my vehicle is on a lift the front tires dont turn. i popped my front cover and found that the LF axle moves when the tire moves but the RF one doesnt.

Now i know some dana 30's had a vacuum actuator and i get how it works but mine does NOT have that. I suppose the shaft could be snapped but wouldnt that be a god awefull noise? Do they ever sever in the CV? Thanks!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I could be wrong, but I think you have the vacuum system unless you have manual hub locks.

And I think the two front wheels are locked when in 4WD...which is why the car crabs on hardpan or pavement - it does not have a limited slip or freewheel ability. So if one is turning and the other is not, I'd guess busted axle.

But I'm guessing...I know very little about axles.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L I-6 2000 intake, apn header

i had a similar problem with mine. The torque converter was locked for 1 to 1 at all times. the jeep doesnt really have the torque to pull itself from a stop, unless you do a neutral bomb. (rev it up in neutral, and drop it in gear)(not recommended) I replaced the torque convertor with one i had from another tranny, and have never had this problem again. this is where i would start. just my input tho.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:03 AM

my particular torque converter lock up issue is fixed without parts replacement. i know the TCC rests in the the "not engaged" posistion and only engages when fluid hits the back of it. i think it may have been a peice of debrit in a channel or possibly just a faulty signal from the tcu commanding an engagements. who knows. it works now though.