Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

stock xj with skyjacker hydro 7000 problem

Old 08-23-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl 4.0
Default stock xj with skyjacker hydro 7000 problem

Alright so this is my first post on any forum so forgive me if I sound dumb.
My dad is the original owner of a 1989 cherokee pioneer and has taken amazing care of it through all the years. It's now been passed down to me and it's my daily driver. Three years ago he got all new suspension parts, coils, leaf springs, and shocks all stock OEM. Those shocks were garbage and leaked within 3 years so we just installed some skyjacker shocks and I'm happy with them except one thing. I noticed the rear shocks were a tad bit shorter the OEM's that were in there and it seems that when driving it over bumps you hear a loud thumping. I'm almost positive it's not bottoming out because there is plenty travel but think because they are shorter they don't get to rebound as much as the springs pull it so they're tugging on the bolts and mounts. Does anyone know why that would happen because it says they should fit an 84-01 xj with 0" lift? If that's the case would quadratec take them back and send me the 1-3 inch lift shocks? Or is that not the problem at all?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1984
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 cyl

what kinds of bumps, and at what speeds? If you are flying over speed bumps at full speed, you'll probably get thumping noises. If it does it during normal driving at the speed limit and you hit a small pot hole / etc., then you possibly have an issue with the shock itself.