Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stock Cherokee Basic Off-Road Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Stock Cherokee Basic Off-Road Mods

So I just picked a really clean bone stock 1997 5 speed 4x4 Cherokee as a first car. I changed my oil, coolant, differential fluid, transfer case fluid, and transmission fluid when I got it just to start at a clean slate. I’m not allowed to lift it until I go to college for safety reasons (or so my parents claim). I plan on doing a front spartan locker and I just got some pretty grippy all terrains which is the best I can do for my circumstances. What other suggestions do y’all have to make an ok rig? I’ve though about extending the breathers for the axles, but what other modifications should I do? I’m open to any suggestions big or small.
Thanks,
Walker
Old 04-18-2018, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

If you're desperate to do something outside of lifting it you might consider bumpers and a winch.

IMO a stock XJ is already an OK rig.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

I think id rather have the locker in the rear and something like a true trac up front
Old 04-18-2018, 11:06 PM

a cool brushguard and cool fog lights

marc
Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

While not specifically off-road related, if you haven't done so already the headlight harness upgrade is an inexpensive and easy upgrade.
A member sells a quality harness at a good price. I'll get his username.
​​​​​​​Edit - jhc7399

A common failure while wheeling is the motor mounts - you might consider upgrading. Brown Dog is a brand name that gets thrown around a lot (in a positive way).

Last edited by PatHenry; 04-18-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

A front sway bar disconnect is a great upgrade for a stock rig.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it off road, then fix what you don't like, a stock xj is extremely capable
Old 04-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97

A big giant light bar is a must! Adds HP, capability, coolness, and is a CHIC MAGNET!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Remove the rear sway bar, get disconnects for the front sway bar, put a locker into the rear and send it!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 AM

Year: 1997

In terms of lockers, I was thinking of getting an Aussie or spartan locker because I heard those are fine to run in the front for a daily driver since the front is always spinning but not always getting power unless I’m in 4wd. I’m hesitant about a rear locker because that’s where power delivery always is and I would like to avoid unnecessary tire wear if I can. I head there is a limited slip available for a Chrysler 8.25 but I haven’t found it. What would y’all suggest in terms of that. I already plan on removing the rear sway bar. I also need to replace the rear bump stops because they are the only rusted out thing on the car. I’m open to and would love to hear any suggestions in terms of the differentials. I would love some ARB air lockers but being in high school I’m not really in a place to spend $2000+ on that stuff.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Do you know what level of off-roading and the amount of lift that you eventually want?

If you're planning on doing serious off-roading and going big on the lift (4+") then the differential upgrades are a good idea. If you're only planning on mild off-roading and a modest lift, then you don't necessarily need to upgrade the differentials.
It's important to know what your goals are so you can best determine what to get now and what to get later. For example, if you get sway bar disconnects now and in a couple of years jack it up 6", you're going to be replacing the stock height disconnects.

You may be aware of it already, but I'll repeat it just to be sure - once you start getting into serious lift and hardcore upgrades, the amount you'll be spending goes way up, way quicker than you expect. Once you put any lift on the Jeep, all of a sudden things start needing replacement that you may not anticipate. If you want the Jeep to be both highway driveable and off-road capable, it's a big $ investment.
Years ago I ran into a guy with a seriously jacked up TJ. He said that he had probably spent about $80k (and this was when the top of the line TJ was 24k brand new) total on the Jeep. It was a beautiful and capable Jeep, but $80k is a LOT of money.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything like that, just make sure you've got perspective. Jeeps are fun and the customization options are unlimited - but don't lose sight of the big picture. College is expensive and life is expensive and it would be a shame to pour a bunch of money into building an awesome Jeep only to be forced to sell it because you can't pay your bills. I've seen many cases where people are stuck selling their beloved vehicle because of financial difficulty.

If my kids are ever in your situation, (I'd nix the lift as your parents did), I might consider compromising on a 2" lift and some appearance customization along with putting aside a fair amount of savings/earnings for college/rainy day in exchange.

Just my $.02
Old 04-19-2018, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by PatHenry
If my kids are ever in your situation, (I'd nix the lift as your parents did), I might consider compromising on a 2" lift and some appearance customization along with putting aside a fair amount of savings/earnings for college/rainy day in exchange.

Just my $.02
Boooooo lol....when i got my truck my junior year, i went ahead and slapped a 6 inch lift the next day...less then 10 years later, no regrets and i love my truck and jeep haha
Old 04-19-2018, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Boooooo lol....when i got my truck my junior year, i went ahead and slapped a 6 inch lift the next day...less then 10 years later, no regrets and i love my truck and jeep haha
Hahahaha - to each their own of course!

My bigger point was just - know what you want to do and know what you're getting into!

The OP's parents won't let him lift it until college - his priorities might change between then and now and he may or may not have the $$ to lift, maintain and put gas in a super jacked up Jeep.
Who knows though, the OP may be wealthy or have a full ticket to college and it's no concern.

I don't like to be the debbie downer, but I do feel that a voice of responsibility is important sometimes.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Also, Martlor13, so you're only 27-ish years old!?!
I have to admit I figured you for an older guy (maybe it's the profile pic).
Old 04-19-2018, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Just saying I have the 8.25 locked with an Aussie and it unlocks on the street like it's stock, never have any bangs or unwanted behaviors (including tire wear). Even in snow or sand it's just fine. When I'm offroading and in 4lo it pretty much stays locked the entire day with the torque the axle is getting. If I ever put a selectable up front I would go with OX over all else, manual cable vs air/electric gremlins. With just the rear locked I have no issues on rocks between blue and black rated trails up in PA. The front is basically invincible until you engage 4wd, you'll notice your turning radius becomes larger.

Quick Reply: Stock Cherokee Basic Off-Road Mods