Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stiffer gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Stiffer gas pedal

I have a 98 cherokee and I hate how soft the gas pedal is. Its uncomfortable to drive and anytime I hit a bump, my foot bounces on the pedal.

Is there any way I could stiffen the pedal resistance? Maybe a stiffer spring on the pedal? Or something else?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

I went to AutoZone and picked up some ford throttle return springs that they sell on one of those little turn things... kinda general but pulled the two springs apart and hooked one end on my original return spring mount and the other on the bracket next to it. That new spring with my original made it nice and stiff for me.... just don't add both of the ford springs or it's like stepping on a brick. Total spent $3
Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Do you have pictures of this setup.. Im a lil confused on which springs your talking about.. Throttle body spring or peddle spring? Thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM

I was wrong in my post when I said the pedal spring. I had just assumed thats how it operated but i was wrong. There is just a throttle return spring, right next to the intake i think. If I try and replace it, is there a good chance I'll mess it up?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

no wont mess it up just go to the store find one the same length, and get a stiffer one
Old 11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 L I6

thats weird i can accelerate comfortably without pushing more than 3/4 of an inch. i touch mine and it jerks like a spaz, i can burn rubber from full stop with no power braking
Old 11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Why would you want to burn rubber it is expensive? The OP didn't say anything about not being able to accelerate.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Yeah this is strictly a comfort issue. I was half expecting to get a couple of "live with it" responses but I was wrong haha. Thanks for your input. Can you guys think of any other cars with simliar stiffer springs that would work? I tried the hardware store and they didn't have one that was the right size. Maybe a JY added to the one I already have?

And although my cruise control doesn't work right now, when I get it fixed will this affect it?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 L I6

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
Why would you want to burn rubber it is expensive? The OP didn't say anything about not being able to accelerate.

Im not saying I do it at every stop sign and pull out, I was mentioning that i have the ability cause my pedal is so stiff, Which was my way of silently hinting...maybe pull a spring/line from another xj, idt there all that spongy, cause I know mine hasn't been replaced and my buddies 94 is the same way.

And if the pedal isn't too tight, you have to push more to get more acceleration, I never push mine more than a quarter way unless I need to downshift to pass.

sorry for the confusing post earlier
Old 11-03-2010, 05:26 PM

So I have another question. If I drill a hole in the throttle body bracket, the part that rotates when you depress the gas pedal, will it weaken it?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by Piper645
Yeah this is strictly a comfort issue. I was half expecting to get a couple of "live with it" responses but I was wrong haha. Thanks for your input. Can you guys think of any other cars with simliar stiffer springs that would work? I tried the hardware store and they didn't have one that was the right size. Maybe a JY added to the one I already have?

And although my cruise control doesn't work right now, when I get it fixed will this affect it?
would like to know this too, always thought the pedal wasn't stiff enough. but if it will mess up my cruise i'll just live with it
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 PM

Well maniac if you end up trying it let me know how it affects it. I'm gonna end up testing some springs tomorrow. The one I bought today might be too stiff now that I look at it. I might also have to drill a couple holes for the springs to hook on. I'll try and take some pictures if you'd like.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Did the spring to mine... cruise works fine.... doesn't seem to struggle with the added strength in springs.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
Did the spring to mine... cruise works fine.... doesn't seem to struggle with the added strength in springs.
so where in autozone did you find these springs? and do you remember the specifics of what they are called/look like? might just try this today
Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Go to the general parts stand that they have in the store. It's not behind the counter. It's a Ford throttle return spring for a carburetor.... also from the late 80's vehicle's. It's on a carousal of a bunch of different small parts like connecters and random parts. Cost me about 5. It's two springs in one.... remove center spring because that seems to be the weaker of the two from my testing. Install on vehicle and bend the hooks as needed. It will be stretched out a little and will weaken over time.... also if you stand on the throttle alot it will stretch out. My cruise never really seemed to have trouble with it and the solenoid doesn't seem to be too hot or struggling when I tested it.... but that is on mine. Took a little to get used to but love it.... the spring popped off after I hit the deer and after I got the jeep back I immediately put it on. Like stepping on a wet noodle.

Quick Reply: Stiffer gas pedal