Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stick(AX15) vs Auto(AW4) INTEGRITY???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stick(AX15) vs Auto(AW4) INTEGRITY???

I'm actually in the market to pick up a '00ish Cherokee and have heard alot of different things about the transmissions in them. Due to cost I'll probably just be getting a basic Sport model. I've driven standard all my life and prefer that, but I've heard the stick's in the cherokee are weak. I'm looking to pick one up as a daily driver primarily so the gas mileage and fun factor would be great with standard, but also would like to throw a winch and mudders on it to go blazin a trail. So to you guy's with personal experience,.. What'd you recommend to pick up and Why? For both daily drivin and off roading I'd still prefer a Stick, but some guy's that have had each said sometimes the manual trannys(AX15) felt like they were weak and could bust off road especially with a bigger tire like some 33's on it, but that their Auto's(AW4) felt bulletproof with an upgraded cooler. Thanks for the insight.

I know that most guy's would say it's personal preference and that it's a bad comparison to go Stick vs Auto, inwhich my preference is ALWAYS Standard.. But I also don't see the point in buying a Stick XJ for a daily driver and the in the first few times I take it mudding blow the Trans apart cus it can't handle the high torque of a big tire in the mud... $$$---->
Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by jaked
I'm actually in the market to pick up a '00ish Cherokee and have heard alot of different things about the transmissions in them. Due to cost I'll probably just be getting a basic Sport model. I've driven standard all my life and prefer that, but I've heard the stick's in the cherokee are weak. I'm looking to pick one up as a daily driver primarily so the gas mileage and fun factor would be great with standard, but also would like to throw a winch and mudders on it to go blazin a trail. So to you guy's with personal experience,.. What'd you recommend to pick up and Why? For both daily drivin and off roading I'd still prefer a Stick, but some guy's that have had each said sometimes the manual trannys(AX15) felt like they were weak and could bust off road especially with a bigger tire like some 33's on it, but that their Auto's(AW4) felt bulletproof with an upgraded cooler. Thanks for the insight.

I know that most guy's would say it's personal preference and that it's a bad comparison to go Stick vs Auto, inwhich my preference is ALWAYS Standard.. But I also don't see the point in buying a Stick XJ for a daily driver and the in the first few times I take it mudding blow the Trans apart cus it can't handle the high torque of a big tire in the mud... $$$---->
The AX-15 is hardly a weak manual. It might not be bulletproof but it a stout tranny and know many jeepers who have wheeled the hell out of it. You are more likely to blow apart the stock rear end than either auto or stick transmission.

The only thing weak on the AX-15 is the brass synchros, you need to use a good gear oil that is gl3 or at least gl 4 compliant. gl5 oils will eat up the yellow metals.

Btw if you get an '00 it will not have the AX-15. It will most likely have the NV3550. Which is also a great tranny.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, the AW-4 is a GREAT trans...that's all that needs to be said about it. It's reputation and track record have shown that!!

The AX, and the NV are both very good transmissions. I would not avoid either. The only sluice box that I have ever heard bad things about in an XJ is the BA-10. As a side note, I had a BA-10, and beat the living crap out of it for four years on 33" tires, with zero problems....ever!! So either way you go, in the year range you seem to be looking at, you'll be a happy guy for a long time!! HTH!!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I perfer an auto on the trail but you cant wrong with either.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

all the AW4 needs is a nice cooler and its a very stout piece.