Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering wheel assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Steering wheel assembly

I really hate to bother ya'll again but I have a problem. I tool apart my column to tighten up the bottom 2 tilt bolts and now I cannot get it back together again. My camera batteries were dead or I would have taken pics. I should have waited until I got batteries but I was in a hurry.
I have the turn signal switch in and am having a lot of trouble getting the main spring and wire keeper into it's slot. I have been looking at the pictures in the tech write up but there are one or two pics in between those shown that I think would help me put this together in the right order.
Does anybody have more pictures of the assembly of a tilt column for a 90 tilt column? I will be very appreciative of any and all pictures I can get as I think I have one or three pieces out of order.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Clint
Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

maybe this will help
Here is a picture of the lockplate removal tool.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel assembly-img_1104.jpg  
Attached Images    

Last edited by Abovetimberline; 09-22-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

the spring goes directly under the lock plate and there is a tool that you can loan from almost any local auto parts store that helps compress it back to get the clip back in place.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Yeah the tool will definatley save alot of time when putting it back togehter
Old 09-22-2009, 02:59 PM

I think that will help. Having trouble figuring where the cup looking thing goes under the spring upside down or with the rounded part up. I think it is the later.
Tried making a press out of an old power steering pulley puller but will try and borrow one tomorrow
Thanks for the help
clint
Old 09-22-2009, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Measure the diameter of the lock plate. Then bend a piece of metal in to a "C" with the legs apart equal to that distance. Drill a hole in the center for the column shaft to slide through. Install the pieces, put on your new tool then tighten the column nut to compress the assembly. As long as you have some metal & a vice your all set.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:01 PM

I tried to make a tool and it looked like it would work but then didn't. I bought a $20 tool and it took 2 minutes to get it together. Now I can either get the horn to blow all the time or not at all. I read thae part about making sure the thin metal disc was in the right way and I think it is. I bought a new horn button part today since my old one was broke,
I also cannot get the Jeep to start up. It has always (since I had it) been hard to start but now I don't think it is getting any spark at all.
I think I put that little while thing with the 2 copper arms in before I put the lcok in. If I did not would that cause it not to start?
Man! I thought I knew a least a little something about mechanical stuff but this thng is about to make me pull the rest of my hair out
clint.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

The item with the two copper arms is the buzzer assembly,it goes in when the tumbler or keylock is in the on position. It will not prevent it from starting unless it keeps you from turning the key to start,it is possible you disconnected some wires on the ign on the colum.
What year is your xj?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM

Mine is a 90 Laredo. I also found another problem. I left a part out. I found it under some tools in the floor and sure don't remember it coming out of the column but it must have. Do you recognize it and know where it goes?
clint
Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cdeal28078
Mine is a 90 Laredo. I also found another problem. I left a part out. I found it under some tools in the floor and sure don't remember it coming out of the column but it must have. Do you recognize it and know where it goes?
clint
That is for your dimmer without it you cannot switch from high to low beam,it goes on the left side where your turn signal enters the colum,I would suggest at this time you look at a used colum from the jy,not sure about where you live but I can get one for $32 and it takes no time to replace.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:52 PM

Thanks. I am going to give it one more try and then I'll take your advice
clint
Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 PM

Year: 1988

Man I had the same problem is there any way to just fix it and not have to buy a used column. Kida straped for cash right now.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

take the column back appart. that piece isn't broken it just needs to be put back in. you will see a metal rod past the turn signal switch. that piece goes between the metal rod and the turn signal switch. you will notice on one side there is a groove that groove is where the rod sits.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:35 AM

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
That is for your dimmer without it you cannot switch from high to low beam,it goes on the left side where your turn signal enters the colum,I would suggest at this time you look at a used colum from the jy,not sure about where you live but I can get one for $32 and it takes no time to replace.
Mannnnn!!!!!!!!
Here in Puerto Rico they asked me on a jy $75 for a steering column and I had to take it out. That was really a &*_(@^$_&*%!!!
Old 11-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by lestatsghost
take the column back appart. that piece isn't broken it just needs to be put back in. you will see a metal rod past the turn signal switch. that piece goes between the metal rod and the turn signal switch. you will notice on one side there is a groove that groove is where the rod sits.
How does the piece "connect" back to the turn signal switch? I think I have it on the rod but when I tested it there was no noticeable "click" sound....any pictures of it correctly installed???

Thanks

Quick Reply: Steering wheel assembly