Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering box adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '88 Pioneer
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Steering box adjustment?

I did a search and only found something on an adjustment for a Grand Cherokee.

My steering wheel has a little play in it. Not bad, but I thought there may be an adjustment on the box. I know the Grand Cherokee has a little screw on the box that you can adjust to take up a little of the play.

I have first checked all the steering components for worn parts. I just replaced the track bar with an adjustable one from JKS. I also replaced a tie rod because it was worn. Everything else is okay. The box is a bit sloppy. HA!

It is an '88 XJ.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

When you adust the box it can only be by about 1/32nd-1/16th of a turn or you will destroy the steering box.

STEERING GEAR
CAUTION: Steering gear must be adjusted in the proper order. If adjustments are not performed in order, gear damage and improper steering response may result.
NOTE: Adjusting the steering gear in the vehicle is not recommended. Remove gear from the vehicle and drain the fluid. Then mount gear in a vise to perform adjustments.
WORM THRUST BEARING PRELOAD
(1) Mount the gear carefully into a vise.
CAUTION: Do not overtighten the vise on the gear case. This may affect the adjustment
(2) Remove adjuster plug locknut (Fig. 24).
(3) Rotate the stub shaft back and forth with a 12 point socket to drain the remaining fluid.
(4) Turn the adjuster in with Spanner Wrench C-4381. Tighten the plug and thrust bearing in the housing until firmly bottomed in the housing about 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.).
(5) Place an index mark on the housing even with one of the holes in adjuster plug (Fig. 25).
(6) Measure back (counterclockwise) 5.08 mm (0.20 in) and mark housing (Fig. 26).
(7) Rotate adjustment cap back (counterclockwise) with spanner wrench until hole is aligned with the second mark (Fig. 27).
(8) Install and tighten locknut to 108 N·m (80 ft. lbs.). Be sure adjustment cap does not turn while tightening the locknut.

OVER-CENTER
NOTE: Before performing this procedure, the worm bearing preload adjustment must be performed.
(1) Rotate the stub shaft with a 12 point socket from stop to stop and count the number of turns.
(2) Starting at either stop, turn the stub shaft back 1/2 the total number of turns. This is the center of the gear travel (Fig. 28).
(3) Place the torque wrench in the vertical position on the stub shaft. Rotate the wrench 45 degrees each side of the center and record the highest rotational torque in this range (Fig. 29). This is the Over-Cen- ter Rotating Torque.
NOTE: The stub shaft must rotate smoothly without sticking or binding.
(4) Rotate the stud shaft between 90° and 180° to the left of center and record the left off-center pre- load. Repeat this to the right of center and record the right off-center preload. The average of these two recorded readings is the Preload Rotating Torque.
(5) The Over-Center Rotating Torque should be 0.45-0.9 N·m (4-8 in. lbs.) higher than the Preload Rotating Torque.
(6) If an adjustment to the Over-Center Rotating Torque is necessary, first loosen the adjuster lock nut. Then turn the pitman shaft adjuster screw back (COUNTERCLOCKWISE) until fully extended, then turn back in (CLOCKWISE) one full turn.
(7) Remeasure Over-Center Rotating Torque. If necessary turn the adjuster screw and repeat mea- surement until correct Over-Center Rotating Torque is reached.
NOTE: To increase the Over-Center Rotating Torque turn the screw CLOCKWISE.
(8) Prevent the adjuster screw from turning while tightening adjuster lock nut. Tighten the adjuster lock nut to 49 N·m (36 ft. lbs.).
Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM

Wow! Didn't think I would have to remove it for proper adjustment. Too bad it isn't like the GC box. I might as well find a Durango box and do an upgrade if I need to remove it. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

This is a write up on a YJ but it is the same way. I also did not know you had to remove the box. However this shows how to with the box still on.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...riteup-498155/
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I have yet to meet a mechanic who has adjusted a steering box by removing it from the vehicle.
Just loosen the adjusting lock down nut and turn the screw in, in TINY TINY steps. Do it only 1/16th of a turn then lock it down and try it out.
Sure it's a pain to do it several times and take it for a spin to see if it worked but it's still a lot easier than removing it and putting it in a vise!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

that is the proper way to do it. By the book. However like i posted originally too though is that you can make small adjustments of 1/16-1/32 and make small adjustments. You adjust it to far tho and expect the failure of your steering box. make sure you get the right durango box if you go that route. There is a constant or a progressive box depending on the model and packages of the durange
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Very cool! I just looked at the jeep and looks like I will only need to remove the electric fan. Not too bad. The adjustment screw is just below it, which is why I couldn't find it previously.

Thanks for all the help!