Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Starts then dies

2000 Jeep Cherokee will start and run for about a second or two then shut down completely and my check engine light comes on. Turn the key off and go to start it a second time and it runs perfect but still shows check engine light. I have a code reader and when I try to pull the codes it says there are no codes found but yet the check engine light still stays on. I have tried to pull the codes 3 different times on 3 different days and every time it says no codes found. It only does this the first time I start the engine after its been sitting overnight or for a long time. I have read that it could be something with the security system, I have also read to replace the ASD relay which I'm going to get right now and see if that works. I have read where people replace the PCM and it not fix the problem as well as it fixing the problem. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this happen and if so what's wrong with this thing?
Old 07-06-2017, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, this does sound like the symptoms of a security system. However, those don't usually fire up and run on the second try. So let's set that aside for the moment.

You need to see what is happening with the fuel pressure during the failed start and the successful follow up. You may be getting an initial charge in the fuel lines, but then a gap that causes the motor to die. Then the second charge fills the lines properly and things work good from there. Then after some hours, the system leaks down again (either through the injectors or back into the tank).

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 07-06-2017, 04:44 PM

The fuel pump was just replaced beginning of this year. It does not sputter like a bad fuel supply it's like you just turn the key off. It seems more electrical then fuel related. Usually I clear the check engine light with my code reader but last night after I turned off the jeep the check engine light was still on. Instead of using the keyless entry to lock unlock the jeep for the last 2 times I have just unlocked the door with my key. Just went to the auto parts store to get a new shutdown relay and it started right up and ran fine with the check engine light on the whole way to the parts store no problems. Left the auto parts store and it started right up and ran find but the check engine light went off and made it home no problems.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TB2Blazer
The fuel pump was just replaced beginning of this year.
It wasnt an Airtex, was it?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:21 AM

No, I wanted it to last so I got a bosch.