Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting & Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Starting & Shifting Issues

My 98 Cherokee has a problem starting up in Park and sometimes will start up in Neutral. I took the NSS apart and cleaned that, took the starter off and cleaned that, replaced plugs/wires, cap and rotor. I've done as much research as I can on the issue before posting.

When I get the Jeep started, and start moving, it WILL NOT shift into 2nd gear. It will stay in first and refuses to shift into 2nd. Is this one of the trans solenoids?

I ruled out the torque converter as I am getting power in 1st. The tranny was rebuilt in August and the fluid is at a good level and color. I just need some help as to what this could possibly be.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Not starting in neutral for my 97 was the NSS being out of adjustment, but only just. I checked mine for continuity (mightve been resistance, cant remember) in all gears with a multimeter after replacing mine. Block the wheels or set the parking brake. Key on, engine off.

Attachment 303550

Another test is to see if it will shift into 2nd with the TCM disconnected. Disconnect the TCM. Start the engine and put the shifter in 1-2. It should shift into 2nd all by itself, around 4k or so i think it is. Then put the shifter into 3rd. If it shifts into 2nd with the TCM disconnected, you have an electrical issue. If it doesnt, its something mechanical.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 08-10-2018 at 08:00 PM.