Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting Issue, Eventually cranked and got it home.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Starting Issue, Eventually cranked and got it home.

So here's what happened. Jeep has been cranking and running fine since I bought about 2 months ago. Yesterday I drove it to go pick up some wood turned the jeep off loaded up the wood and when I went to crank it up it just kept turning but would not start. First thought was I guess the fuel pump just went out. I was next to a busy road so when I turned the key to the on position I felt that I couldn't hear the fuel pump engaging. I read somewhere it could be the fuel pump relay fuse under the hood so I swapped it out with the ASD relay fuse because it looked like the same type of fuse with the same amount of prongs. She cranked up and I bolted home as fast as I could. In the driveway had it park still running i unloaded my wood still running got back in the jeep put it in drive and it sputtered out and shut off. Tried cranking it nothing went back under the hood put the fuses back in the same order as originally nothing. Tried using different fuses still nothing. In my driveway it is quit and when I turn the key to on I can hear the sound of the fuel pump engaging so it was probably engaging when I was stuck originally. I left the jeep alone for about an hour and came back and she cranked right up. Acts like i flooded the engine.
SIDE NOTE:
As im typing this out i remembered that i drove the jeep for a good 45min the day before until it was almost empty then fueled about 3qtr tank and when I was at the gas station it didn't crank the first time. Don't know why but I instinctively opened the gas cap and the closed it again thinking it needed to burp ?? idk but it started up the next try. That was probably my first sign or maybe not related.

Thats all the info I got related, Ive replaced the waterpump and thermostat flushed the coolant system and degreased the engine bay thats the only work ive done to the engine.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I understand your thinking it is fuel related, however this is a common problem with the crank position sensor. When they start to go, they can exhibit a variety of symptoms. No one ever changes them, but they should be changed periodically as part of a tune up.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Thanks

Awesome, I just watched a video about it. I'll get me a new one install and report back thanks!

quick question there 80 bucks at the store and only 8 bucks on ebay safe to buy on ebay?

Last edited by Scooterpookin; 08-11-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Conventional wisdom is to put out the extra bucks for a genuine Chrysler sensor. The Chinese knockoffs tend to fail quickly