Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting issue

Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Starting issue

Hi, I looked through the forum and didn't see an answer to my specific issue so I thought I'd ask.....unless I missed a post on it.

Anyhow, My 2002 Cherokee is having a serious starting issue. It will start for about 2-5 seconds and then die. There are no warning lights on and I obviously have spark or it would not catch at all. I was thinking that maybe the fuel lines weren't making enough pressure, but wouldn't it just turn over and not start if that were the case? Maybe the fuel pump is going bad. any suggestions?

Also, as an aside, the horn will just start blowing for no reason. Is that a separate issue or part of this one? It never did that before and I have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:52 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Are in the USA?

Our Cherokee production ended in 2001.

If I know for sure which model you have, I can move this thread to a place which would yield you the best help.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I experienced something quite similar sounding to this over the weekend. We had some severe cold weather and snow ice here. Went to unlock the door with the key and the door unlocked but must be the switch didn't think the door was unlocked and it set off the alarm. Got that stopped by repeatedly opening the same lock on the driver door. However got it to start it and started for about a second, maybe 2 and promptly shut down. Also the 4 ways were activated. This happened 2 times in a row. So I went around and opened the passenger door with the key, thinking it wanted a sort of secondary validation that the owner was the one trying to start it. The four ways shut off and I was able to start it normally.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Are in the USA?

Our Cherokee production ended in 2001.

If I know for sure which model you have, I can move this thread to a place which would yield you the best help.
You're right, it is a 2001. Sorry for the typo and yes, I am in the US. I live north of Seattle. Thanks again for any help.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
I experienced something quite similar sounding to this over the weekend. We had some severe cold weather and snow ice here. Went to unlock the door with the key and the door unlocked but must be the switch didn't think the door was unlocked and it set off the alarm. Got that stopped by repeatedly opening the same lock on the driver door. However got it to start it and started for about a second, maybe 2 and promptly shut down. Also the 4 ways were activated. This happened 2 times in a row. So I went around and opened the passenger door with the key, thinking it wanted a sort of secondary validation that the owner was the one trying to start it. The four ways shut off and I was able to start it normally.

That sounds exactly like what happened, except for my 4 ways didn't come on. I'll give it a shot and see if that is the issue. I'm thinking it just might be. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:07 AM

It's the strangest thing.....my wife and I went out to listen to the relays and fuel pump but she decided to just try it first and it started right up!

I don't know if the thing reset itself or what but it was weird. I still don't trust it completely though. Now if I could just get the heater to work, I'd be happier than hell!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like the old Jeep/Chrysler anti-theft system. It often rears its ugly head after a dead battery/jump start. Or any time the computer things it is starting from scratch.

Typically, it requires putting the physical key into the driver side door and rotating the key left and right fully 3 times. (some models can reset from any of the doors that have key holes).