Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Squeaky Aircon

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 05:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Squeaky Aircon

Happy New Year
I've gradually changed the ancillaries at the front of my Jeep as they've failed, starting with the alternator, an aircon compressor, water pump and most recently the power steering pump but now it seems that I'm likely to be on my second new aircon compressor.

Here's the noise, and it goes away temporarily if you splash through water or spray WD40 on the clutch bearing. In the video, the aircon is off and the compressor isn't spinning. (The switch was off but the aircon doesn't work anyway at the moment). In my shoes would you go with just the clutch or the whole A/C compressor and a dryer?
I might be to blame for this as I was running the belt tight for a while to keep the power steering spinning until the replacement parts arrived - maybe it damaged the bearing.
Anyway, apart from the noise I don't want to take the risk of the compressor locking up on me and leaving me stuck.

So, should I just pull the trigger on the parts cannon or are there other options?