Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Spray on bedliner in cargo area

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Spray on bedliner in cargo area

So my idea is to rip out the carpet that is in the rear cargo area of my Cherokee. I went and bought a can of spray on bedliner from walmart today. I read up on some threads on this but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Anyways what's the process I need to take to do this... I know it's not as easy as pull the carpet and spray.
How should I prep the floor area after I pull the carpet, before I do the spraying?
My goal is to have the flooring covered. As well as half the wheel well that is exposed in the rear cargo area.
Also can I pull the carpet off the back of the rear bunch seat and bedline that as well?
Any tips or advice for preping the area? Do you think I will need another can? Thanks for making all my projects a little easier.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

I was told to go over the surface with ROUGH grit sand paper to give the coating some to bite on..........
Old 02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Member

So just sand it down and then clean it? Then spray it. How many coats is usual?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Adr

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Those spray can liners tend to crack and peel, even the duplicolor ones. I would suggest getting the Herculiner roll on kit even though it's like $100 for the gallon and kit. I rolled it on my Bronco and it's incredibly tough.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

at least 3 coats, pulling the carpet up is a lot easier than you think, on mine i had a little rust so i sanded it down and primed it. 80-60 grit sandpaper is what used the kit i bought had red scotch brite I didnt feel that was enough. The kit is the way to go if you decide to do the whole inside the gallon is enough to do 4 coats with about a qt left over. Just be sure give it 48 hrs before you put anything on it they say 24 but 48 is best.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

i have about 5 cans of the spray stuff on my jeep in a bunch of different places along with the roll on stuff in the flat spots. both are duplicolor brand. its safe to expect the spray on stuff to crack and peel eventually..the more you think that area is going to get used the more coats i would put on there. for an example where my feet go on the floor wore off in only about a month..for my cargo area i rolled it on really thick and did two coats and its holding up great. if you are just going to do the cargo area i would suggest the roll on stuff it seems a lot tougher them the stuff that comes in the rattle can. my dupli color kit was about $100 but the gallon of bedliner that comes with it goes a long way.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

If its the rustolium, do atleast 5 coats. It comes out think but drys thin. Prep with heavy sand paper, clean, then a coat or 2 of some sort of regular rattle can stuff then use the bedliner. I used this method when i did the exterior with that stuff on my xj and it has really held up. Of course Ive done about 15 or 20 coats and do a can or 2 about every month. That way around the summer time when I repaint the rest of the xj, the bedliner will be nice and strong.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Seasoned Member

yea its the rustolium spray. We just finshed the cargo area.. it looks GREAT! It was so sick pulling up that carpet though, it was some what wet and smelled like dog, which the pervious owner had. We used the entire can and went on great. I plan on doing a second can next weekend before I mount up my on board air system in the back. I love how it looks. I didnt end up pulling the carpet off the top of the wheel wells though, I plan on doing that the next weekend. Im going to post some pics tomorrow whens its lighter. But man does that stuff smell! From anyone that has done the spray on method, how long till the smell goes away?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

lol yeah, it almost knocked me off my feet when i was doing my wheel wells and stuff. i did my whole floor of my jeep with the roll on for the flat spots and the spray on for the hard to get spots and its my DD so didn't really have any time to leave the windows open and let it dry out and let those awful fumes dissipate. it was a good 5 or 6 days (maybe more) before that bed liner smell was finally gone.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by BigRed93xj
yea its the rustolium spray. We just finshed the cargo area.. it looks GREAT! It was so sick pulling up that carpet though, it was some what wet and smelled like dog, which the pervious owner had. We used the entire can and went on great. I plan on doing a second can next weekend before I mount up my on board air system in the back. I love how it looks. I didnt end up pulling the carpet off the top of the wheel wells though, I plan on doing that the next weekend. Im going to post some pics tomorrow whens its lighter. But man does that stuff smell! From anyone that has done the spray on method, how long till the smell goes away?
leave all your windows down for about 2 days. or leave your windows cracked for about a week.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Adr
Those spray can liners tend to crack and peel, even the duplicolor ones. I would suggest getting the Herculiner roll on kit even though it's like $100 for the gallon and kit. I rolled it on my Bronco and it's incredibly tough.
This is a person who speaks from experience and I know that because I have experienced the same thing. The Herculiner is the best by far and worth every penny! Also the directions give you a preparation guide. I would suggest getting a solvent like acetone and wiping down the surface. The carpet will have lots of oils and crap in them that the bed liner will not want to bond to. Acetone should disolve most of the crap. There is no such thing as too clean. The more time you invest on this in the beginning the longer this liner will last! Good luck.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Is Herculiner the roll on one? I aint spending $100 bucks for the roll on stuff when I can spend like $5 on a couple cans... does Herculiner come in a spray form?