Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speaker System Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97 and 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6
Default Speaker System Question

Ok so I just entered into the Jeep World and I love it. I bought a 97 Cherokee Sport and have replaced the radiator, catalytic converter, tires, 02 senor, all fluids, and a few fuses. But the point of all this is the XJ that I bought had the radio stolen out of it. They did a good job and didnt ruin the wires and only cut the ground. I just bought and installed a Sony GTX-340 but have no sound in the passenger side door. I have the sound bar in back and i do not have the Infinity system and clue as to wear to start to trouble shoot and what to look for? Thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

start by pulling the the door speaker out that does not work. make sure it is hooked up right. if you have a spare speaker laying around then plug that one in just to see if sound comes out. If you dont then you will need to pull the radio out and use a tester to see if you are getting current to the speaker. use a continuity tester. do this by attching the pos. and neg. together at the speaker and testing the wires up at the radio. I guess before you do all of this you could see if the balance on the radio isnt set to one side only.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by white91
start by pulling the the door speaker out that does not work. make sure it is hooked up right. if you have a spare speaker laying around then plug that one in just to see if sound comes out. If you dont then you will need to pull the radio out and use a tester to see if you are getting current to the speaker. use a continuity tester. do this by attching the pos. and neg. together at the speaker and testing the wires up at the radio. I guess before you do all of this you could see if the balance on the radio isnt set to one side only.
x2 that..
When I pulled my speakers out only one of two wires were hooked up on 2 of the 4.

good luck

BTW~ check out www.newegg.com for deals on speakers.. i got mine there cheep! And their POLK audio!! 1/2 that of what they cost in the store and are marine greade to boot!!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991 Laredo
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Check the wire inside of the door boot. (wires go through from jeep to door). They are apt to fray or split in half although usually the driver's side goes first.

*Former car electronics installer.