Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Spare Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Spare Fuel Pump

Wondering if anyone keeps a spare fuel pump in the XJ when taking long trips... Going on a road trip of 1500 miles and have a new fuel pump with only 3500 miles on it... but it was almost 5 years since it was installed It wines real loud after a couple hundred miles. No hesitation or problems. Shut it off and restart and the noise is gone. So i am thinking maybe it would not be a bad idea to carry a spare... Any thoughts...
Old 03-05-2019, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 & 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by captainkettel
.............................. Shut it off and restart and the noise is gone. So i am thinking maybe it would not be a bad idea to carry a spare... Any thoughts...

Based on my own experience, I would say you have either:
  • Partially plugged pre-filter in the fuel pump suction.
  • Fuel pump going bad.
  • Partially plugged fuel filter.
  • Combination of the above.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by captainkettel
Wondering if anyone keeps a spare fuel pump in the XJ when taking long trips... Going on a road trip of 1500 miles and have a new fuel pump with only 3500 miles on it... but it was almost 5 years since it was installed It wines real loud after a couple hundred miles. No hesitation or problems. Shut it off and restart and the noise is gone. So i am thinking maybe it would not be a bad idea to carry a spare... Any thoughts...
Sounds like as the fuel level drops below the pump you begin to hear it. This could be because the pump gets much hotter without the fuel to cool it, or it could be that the pump always makes a lot of noise and the fuel masks the noise while it is covering the pump.

Next time you only have a small amount of fuel in the tank, see if you have fuel pump noise on a cold start in the morning.

If the bearings or internals of the pump are going bad, you might be able to spot it by doing an amperage draw test on the pump while it is running (or with a scope and amp clamp). I don't know if you have a trusted shop that could do this for you before you leave.

Carry the spare.