Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

something happened when i tried

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 cylinder
Default something happened when i tried

i went out this morning and tried to start the jeep. i put the key in and turned it half way the dash lit up and all i left it like that for a couple seconds maybe.. 4-5 and then tried to turn it over all i got was a soft pop sound and everything went out. i turned the key all the way off and then turned it to half key and nothing came on, no beeps no nothing so i tried to turn it over and nothing. anyone know what is wrong? i have looked ant all the fuses which i have never done before and i found fuses in there with copper wrapped around them. and fuses with wires like the black wire from the cd player wrapped around the 15 and pushed in. i have never had a problem starting the jeep till today. can someone help me out?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:22 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

the previous owner bypassed the fuses because something was causing them to blow. that pop was probably some electrical component burning up because it no longer had a fuse to protect it.

If you just bought this recently I would be going back and paying a visit to the guy that sold it to you.

remove all the fuses and take the wire off them then put them back in and see which ones blow. then its going to be a lot of troubleshooting to find the problems.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:48 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

Yes-definitely pay a visit to the previous owner and ask them what the deal is on that and why they didn't think that was a big enough issue to mention during the sale. That's the sort of thing that could knock at least a hundred or two off the price and it's pretty shady of anyone to do that to someone anyway. Good luck and I hope you're able to figure this out...it's going to take a lot of patience and tracing though so get a good multimeter and learn how to read an electrical diagram.

-Nate
Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

check all the under hood fuses and maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

as said b4 take out all the copper wire and replace with good fuses then try it and if one blows you just find out what it controls and thats where you start looking it will probably take a good amount of time but thats what you gotta do goodluck
Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 AM

the same thing happened to mine....it was right after i bought it from my friend, but he told me that the battery cables needed replaced....well, on day i tried starting it, and a soft pop, and everything went dead....i played with my cables, then the buzzer and everything came back on, but then i tried to turn the key, and a soft pop again, an everything was dead.

so i bought new terminals, and cut the battery cable so good copper was exposed, put the new terminals on the good copper, and its as good as new again