Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Some more..

Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 & 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 98-4.0 & 91-4.0
Default Some more..

Alright so I was looking through 4x4groupbuy's deals and everything when I saw that I could get a 6.5" RC lift for about 150 dollars more than the 4.5". This has probably been answered already but it would be more expensive to run/use a 6.5"?

I also would like to know what are the most popular lift sizes people get. I was looking through the lift/tire setup thread and it appears 4.5's are pretty popular but I saw some that were higher. Also some 3.5's and 2's.

If I got the 4.5" RC as I was originally planning to do, would I need a SYE or should I just wait and see if I have problems with the lift? I was also wondering if I added spacers/shacklers to make the lift possibly 5"-5.5 would this cause future problems as well?

And I guess does the 3.5" RE get as much clearance as the 4.5" RC? I've heard they're close, which is a little strange.

I know I've been asking a lot of questions recently, should be some of my last here. Thanks for all the help. Maybe..

Last edited by Oath; 04-07-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Oath
Alright so I was looking through 4x4groupbuy's deals and everything when I saw that I could get a 6.5" RC lift for about 150 dollars more than the 4.5". This has probably been answered already but it would be more expensive to run/use a 6.5"?

I also would like to know what are the most popular lift sizes people get. I was looking through the lift/tire setup thread and it appears 4.5's are pretty popular but I saw some that were higher. Also some 3.5's and 2's.

If I got the 4.5" RC as I was originally planning to do, would I need a SYE or should I just wait and see if I have problems with the lift? I was also wondering if I added spacers/shacklers to make the lift possibly 5"-5.5 would this cause future problems as well?

And I guess does the 3.5" RE get as much clearance as the 4.5" RC? I've heard they're close, which is a little strange.

I know I've been asking a lot of questions recently, should be some of my last here. Thanks for all the help. Maybe..
First you wont know if you need a SYE until you have your jeep done. If it is a newer jeep you will more than likely need one.

Second a 3.5" lift and a 4.5" lift are an inch different. I dont know anyone running R.E. products but I imagine it will settle to the advertised hight.

Third you can put spacers in with the lift springs if you wanna get more hight. I am one of those people who believe low lift big travel is the way to go if your going after rocks ( not my thing).

But to each his own. Good luck with your choices.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

rubicon express with settle anout an ich higher than advertised